Official Review: Remember Radcliffe Lad Know Your Station...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lediplomatique.html
Latest Review: Basket of Brazilian Tales by Manfred u. Osterroht

Official Review: Remember Radcliffe Lad Know Your Station...

Post by LeDiplomatique »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Remember Radcliffe Lad Know Your Station in Life" by Bernard Heys. MCMI.MWIFM.DipBs..]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Talk of a man who has travelled the world and the name Bernard Heys springs to mind. Born and raised in Radcliffe, Bernard is retired engineer, who has met and worked with people from 69 nationalities. In his interesting life, Bernard has visited many countries to render his services as an engineer in numerous international mega projects. Bernard Heys had started his career with apprenticeship in the aeronautical industry, hoping that it would be his life-long career. However, his career took a detour when the Blue Streak Missile system project was cancelled as a weapons system. He had to rethink the direction of his life. He has worked in international mega projects for the better part of his life until his Type 2 Diabetes, which had been diagnosed in 1988, finally weighed him down in 2013.

Remember Radcliffe Lad: Know Your Station in Life is the memoir of Bernard Heys. The book is written from the perspective of Bernard Heys. He talks about his family life, education and career. He also talks of his associates who contributed to his career. It is a lengthy manuscript. However, the abundance of photographs makes it endurable. The language of the book is simple, coupled with some technical words. However, it is easy to follow and understand because the author does not use unnecessary vocabularies. The book is structured chronologically, with a summary of his professional life and a mention of politics in the UK at the back.

The tone of the book portrays a hardworking visionary who is willing to make the world a better place. It is amazing how he fits in with all the cultures he encounters while working in the international arena. I enjoyed reading about his leisure travels as well. The most hilarious moment for me was while vacationing for the first time in Brittany, France. Chris, their family friend, had gone to get eggs and a bottle opener from the farmer next door. Consequently, he came back with the eggs and the farmer’s wife in tow, carrying the opener. The most emotional moment was when I read about their first child, who had died at birth. It’s sad that they never had a chance to name the child.

I most love the principles of life that the author has embraced to help his life to stay on course. The best one was about using one’s talents for the benefit of all. His musical talent stood out because it is rare to find an engineer who can also sing. I also like that the author is a religious man and that the entire book appreciates his rich connection with St. Mary’s school, church and football club. I did not like anything least because the book is very inspiring and it touches on many subjects of interest. I would not change anything in the book because I found it to be very inspiring.

There is no erotic content and no profanities in the book. However, I came across a substantial amount of errors. I recommend this amazing autobiography to those who are still trying to find their station in life. It is an encouraging recount that taught me never to quit when one door closes. I will not rate it 4 stars due to the errors. On the other hand, I will not rate it 2 stars because the author has provided substantive support sections alongside the book to support the main text. This aspect promotes clarity of content and increases the text worth of the book. Therefore, I rate Remember Radcliffe Lad: Know Your Station in Life 3 out of 4 stars.

Remember Radcliffe Lad Know Your Station in Life
View: on Bookshelves
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

This sounds a great book. I always love reading memoirs and I must try this too. Thanks for the great review.
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
Wuoketch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wuoketch.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wuoketch »

I might need to try this. Memoirs are so interesting and I love this based on this review. Thanks for the good work.
book_fanatic_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-fanatic.html
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato

Post by book_fanatic_ »

Maybe not the one for me but I'm sure people who like reading memoirs would love it. Thanks for the beautiful and detailed review.
She read books as one would breathe air, to fill up and live. - Annie Dillard
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato
Chimdi_3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimdi-3.html
Latest Review: Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) by Barry Litherland

Post by Chimdi_3 »

It's good to view the world through the eyes of one who has traveled wide.It's also obvious that Bernard had a fulfilling career and life.Thanks for the great review.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

I like stories about people who have experienced different countries, cultures and lifestyles due to the nature of their work. Sounds like a fun and inspiring read.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

“It is amazing how he fits in with all the cultures he encounters while working in the international arena.”
That is amazing. Some people are just made for international travel. Thanks for a great review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”