Official Review: Should I" Go Walkabout" in Aus...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ccundall2130
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Currently Reading: Atonement to a Greater God
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccundall2130.html
Latest Review: Should I" Go Walkabout" in Australia by John Timms
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 3258

Official Review: Should I" Go Walkabout" in Aus...

Post by ccundall2130 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Should I" Go Walkabout" in Australia" by John Timms.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Australia has always interested me. When I started reading this book, the pandemic still had everything completely shut down. Since travel wasn’t possible, I chose to escape into a book about traveling Australia. Should I “Go Walkabout” in Australia, a Motorhome Adventure is published as being authored by John Timms. This book is actually the journaling of Elizabeth (Lisa) Timms, John’s wife, and was originally titled “Should I Tour Australia?”. Lisa died shortly after their second trip through Australia and this book is published after her death.

This book is a compilation of the journals and emails from their first nine-month trip. The plan was to start at the Gold Coast, where they are from, and go all the way around Australia along the coast. In the nine months they traveled, they barely made it along the eastern coast. The journal detailed the routes they followed as well as the problems they had with vehicles and appliances in their motorhome, which was brand new and shipped in from the United States. With much detail, Lisa described the attractions and van parks they visited. Since they were traveling with their two dogs, Jack and Callie, many attractions were off limits as dogs weren’t allowed. They still explored many places along the way. They visited beautiful beaches with pristine water, drove through the tree surrounded routes, beheld the mountains from their Ute, and even fed the stingrays in Lake Conjola. Lisa and John had an unusually large motorhome and usually got amazing sites. Many were close to water or parks where they could run and play with their dogs. The trip wasn’t always fun, though. Lisa spent most of the first half wanting to go home. She didn’t enjoy the nomadic lifestyle and missed her family. However, once they slowed down and started taking in more of the sites, she found she enjoyed the travel more. John would check out the many golf courses they came across, and Lisa enjoyed the shops, especially the book stores. Lisa even wrote about avoiding shops that had imported goods because she wanted nothing but Australian made mementos.

This book was very informative for me. My knowledge of Australia is limited to what is shown on the television and in magazines. This book is not only a journal of their trip, but a travel guide on the best van parks that were pet friendly and scenic roads to provide the best views. Lisa was candid and didn’t hold anything back. She wasn’t afraid to recommend avoiding places, usually because they were filthy and had trash everywhere. I loved that they started with an intended route but chose to take recommendations of those they met along the way instead. This book was difficult to get into at first because Lisa’s tone was negative and she wasn’t thrilled to travel. But as her writing continued, she relaxed and seemed to enjoy herself. Her descriptions became more vivid and happy. The only thing I didn’t like was the inconsistently stated dates since it was essentially a journal. I would have liked to know how long they spent in a particular place. She mentioned a few times they planned to stay in a place for a couple of days or another location for a week, though. The thing that establishes her point of view as more relatable to me is that they aren’t native to Australia. Lisa is from Wales and tremendously enjoyed the green and cooler areas that reminded her of home. Her summation of their trip in the concluding chapters was a pleasant ending. It was good to see she wanted the reader to realize there was a method to what she wrote and could use this book as a travel resource. As stated in her introduction, this book was primarily written with her friends in mind. As an animal lover, it was especially fun to read about the reactions the dogs had when seeing their first horses, cows, and kangaroos.

The book consisted of 88 relatively brief chapters. Several pages possessed pictures from their travels, including the extraordinary picture of John feeding the stingray. It begins with Lisa’s introduction and ends with a list of the places they visited and the route they took. However, the Kindle format made it difficult to track the route. I kept an Australian map handy as I read to see where they were. The introduction mentions a second book that describes a year long trip they took to travel the rest of the way around Australia. I feel this book is definitely a stand-alone, but the second book would be intriguing.

This book is suitable for all readers and doesn’t have profanity or erotic scenes. There were a few formatting errors and punctuation errors, but they weren’t distracting. The only distracting phenomenon was the separation of “F” and “L” in every word that began with this combination, such as flight and floors. Since this happened throughout the book, I stopped counting them. I believe any person that likes to travel and enjoys humor found in traveling with a partially deaf husband and two dogs will enjoy this book. It would also be entertaining to a person contemplating traveling Australia for nine months in a motorhome! I appreciated the content and antics found in this book and thoroughly enjoyed reading it. However, the errors were so numerous that I could only give it a three out of four stars rating instead of the four stars I thought it deserved.

Should I" Go Walkabout" in Australia
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Crystal Cundall

Asking if I like reading is like asking if I like breathing.
Wuoketch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wuoketch.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wuoketch »

I like how informative the book is. Thanks for the detailed review. Good work.
Faridah Mwilson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faridah-mwilson.html
Latest Review: A Woman to Blame by Vincent Panettiere

Post by Faridah Mwilson »

It not really my thing, but if you are into adventures then it would be an interesting piece. I'm definitely suggesting it Charity my friend. She loves to travel, she would love it.
Thank for the review
_Lindsey_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey.html
Latest Review: The Curl by Raymond George Ward

Post by _Lindsey_ »

This story sounds like a really immersive guide to exploring in Australia! Thank you for reviewing it.
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

As a walker of long-distance trails and someone whose dream is to eventually ('eventually' only due to finances, not other reasons for I've been ready for a long time!) SETTLE in a forever-motorhome I am adding this book to my shelf. Your review is very exhaustive and inviting, regardless of the drawback! Thank you!
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

We have dreamed about a longer stay in Australia for quite a while. This book sounds like something I'd better put on my reading list! :) Thanks for a nice review!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Chimdi_3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimdi-3.html
Latest Review: Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) by Barry Litherland

Post by Chimdi_3 »

I love to travel but I haven't gone to.as many places as I would have loved to.its therefore great to see the world through Someother person's eyes .nice review.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

I've always loved the idea of touring but I've always had to live vicariously to others because, in reality, I don't like moving around very much. Perhaps, the idea of doing so in a motorhome should finally spark me into action.
ccundall2130
In It Together VIP

Post by ccundall2130 »

Wuoketch wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 03:18 I like how informative the book is. Thanks for the detailed review. Good work.
Thank you! This book is very informative. It was fun to read her point of view since she wasn't a native to Australia.
ccundall2130
In It Together VIP

Post by ccundall2130 »

Jachike Samuelson wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 20:43 I've always loved the idea of touring but I've always had to live vicariously to others because, in reality, I don't like moving around very much. Perhaps, the idea of doing so in a motorhome should finally spark me into action.
The author states she had more fun the last half of the their journey simply because they slowed down and stayed in one place longer. Usually, 3 days to a week. Motorhomes are fun but there are maintenance issues that might come up, as they did in this book. However, there are RV rentals available in many places and that might be more cost effective in the long run!
ccundall2130
In It Together VIP

Post by ccundall2130 »

Faridah Mwilson wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 03:37 It not really my thing, but if you are into adventures then it would be an interesting piece. I'm definitely suggesting it Charity my friend. She loves to travel, she would love it.
Thank for the review
If your friend loves to travel, she will enjoy this book. The author didn't hold back and wrote about the good and bad and was pretty funny.
ccundall2130
In It Together VIP

Post by ccundall2130 »

_Lindsey_ wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 06:21 This story sounds like a really immersive guide to exploring in Australia! Thank you for reviewing it.
Yes, it is a great read about the Eastern coast of Australia. I would like to find her other book and see how far they got on their next adventure. I have added a couple places she wrote about to my bucket list.
ccundall2130
In It Together VIP

Post by ccundall2130 »

Chimdi_3 wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 15:53 I love to travel but I haven't gone to.as many places as I would have loved to.its therefore great to see the world through Someother person's eyes .nice review.
Thank you! I am in the same boat. I haven't traveled nearly as much as I have wanted. this book was great to visualize the parts of Australia she talked about. Definitely adding places to my must-see list.
ccundall2130
In It Together VIP

Post by ccundall2130 »

Kirsi_78 wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 14:05 We have dreamed about a longer stay in Australia for quite a while. This book sounds like something I'd better put on my reading list! :) Thanks for a nice review!
If you are wanting an informative idea of where to go in Eastern Australia, this book is a great resource. Many of the places she wrote about have been added to my must-see list. Like I would, they avoided the metro areas and drove around them. Sounded like they had a great plan. Although, she enjoyed the trip more once they slowed down a bit and stayed in places longer.
ccundall2130
In It Together VIP

Post by ccundall2130 »

LinaJan wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 09:58 As a walker of long-distance trails and someone whose dream is to eventually ('eventually' only due to finances, not other reasons for I've been ready for a long time!) SETTLE in a forever-motorhome I am adding this book to my shelf. Your review is very exhaustive and inviting, regardless of the drawback! Thank you!
This book sounds like it is perfect for you. She spoke of the towns she walked through. Oftentimes, she went alone because her husband was golfing. There are many attractions along the way she wrote about and it sounded like plenty of trails and wilderness areas to enjoy. I imagine the simplicity and minimalism of living in a motorhome would be quite freeing. I especially love she had her dogs with her and left advice for dog friendly areas because I couldn't go without mine!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”