Official Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Simple Man Simple Message" by Mark Dobosz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I've read a lot of self-help books in my day, but I can't recall any that were less than 40 pages long and worth reading. So when I came across Simple Man Simple Message: Seven Days to Refocus Your Spirituality A Lifetime to Live It by Mark Dobosz and saw how short it was, I had to check it out.

Spoiler alert: I loved it. Simple Man Simple Message (as I'll refer to it from here on out) is a brief guide to finding your calling in life, learning to walk that path, and discovering happiness along the way. As the subtitle says, the book is meant to be read over the course of seven days, and each day has its own chapter.

I appreciated that Mark's style relies heavily on the reader's revelations and thoughts. Each chapter has some important topics, facts, and ideas, but the following reflection questions make a big difference. I loved that the book came full circle, asking readers what their current focus in life is after the first chapter, and then what their new focus in life will be at the end. I often find these prompts to be skippable in self-help books, but in Simple Man Simple Message these questions are deep and truly encourage contemplation.

With all of this said, the book is definitely for Christians. Mark includes Bible passages and reinforces the idea that a relationship with God should be above everything else. One part in particular shows an incredibly simple but equally poignant diagram of the relationship one should have with God and everyone else using the "most important" commandments: to love God with all that you are and to love your neighbor as yourself. This part drew importance to perhaps the most overlooked part of this commandment as well: loving yourself.

Simple Man Simple Message is a remarkably impactful little book. It takes mere minutes each day to read, but you'll certainly want to put in the work and answer the handful of questions after each chapter to get the most out of it. Anyone who has been focusing on the wrong things in life and wondered why they aren't happy, anyone who wants a stronger relationship with God, and anyone who needs to be reminded of what's truly important will get a lot out of this book. However, I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who isn't Christian. My rating of the book is 4 out of 4 stars, and I can't think of a single negative thing to say about it aside from the three grammatical errors I found.

Simple Man Simple Message
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Nwaogazie Goodness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaogazie-goodness.html
Latest Review: The Harlem Story by Danny Holst

Post by Nwaogazie Goodness »

I have a thing for self help books and also books on personal development.
Like really, I'll most likely give it a try, owing to the fact that it is not so lengthy and this is my type of book like I already stated.
You have a great review!
cj_mcrich
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cj-mcrich.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by cj_mcrich »

This is very useful especially in our current situation of being isolated because of this pandemic. As someone who often has anxiety attacks, I needed this. Thanks for the review. :)
Munachimso_Nwaogazie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-munachimso-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Munachimso_Nwaogazie »

Precise and self-help books are my kinds of books.
My To-read books keep increasing every day.
I do appreciate this review.
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

A book with a chronological arrangement for better understanding for readers is worth a peep periodically.
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

I'm not much into self-help books but this one sounded like one that I would consider reading, given that it is short. I also liked the idea that it is designed to be read a chapter a day. Sadly, I ended up feeling put off by the fact that it has religious taint put over it.
Thank you for such an informative review! :)
Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Samgum50 »

Wonderful review! This book seems very helpful and I think it would be a good quarantine read.
Nedbrian
Currently Reading: Into the Hand of a Woman
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedbrian.html
Latest Review: Different Family Structures by Mildred Stallworth

Post by Nedbrian »

I can liken this book to The Secret by Rhonda. It will surely direct you perfectly irrespective of who you are. I would definitely get this book for my own edification.
Chikom
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikom.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Chikom »

Wow!! I think this is the book i really during this hard times where we are forced to isolate due to the pandemic. Reading each chapter a day and asking yourself questions sounds like a great exercise because the book dwells more on self-development and spiritual growth. I look forward buying a copy of this book.
NanaCindy1906
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by NanaCindy1906 »

Fantastic review. This sounds like a really good book and "to the point" at under 50 pages. I look forward to reading it myself.
Abhyarna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarna.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Abhyarna »

CataclysmicKnight wrote: 09 Jun 2020, 17:05 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Simple Man Simple Message" by Mark Dobosz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I've read a lot of self-help books in my day, but I can't recall any that were less than 40 pages long and worth reading. So when I came across Simple Man Simple Message: Seven Days to Refocus Your Spirituality A Lifetime to Live It by Mark Dobosz and saw how short it was, I had to check it out.

Spoiler alert: I loved it. Simple Man Simple Message (as I'll refer to it from here on out) is a brief guide to finding your calling in life, learning to walk that path, and discovering happiness along the way. As the subtitle says, the book is meant to be read over the course of seven days, and each day has its own chapter.

I appreciated that Mark's style relies heavily on the reader's revelations and thoughts. Each chapter has some important topics, facts, and ideas, but the following reflection questions make a big difference. I loved that the book came full circle, asking readers what their current focus in life is after the first chapter, and then what their new focus in life will be at the end. I often find these prompts to be skippable in self-help books, but in Simple Man Simple Message these questions are deep and truly encourage contemplation.

With all of this said, the book is definitely for Christians. Mark includes Bible passages and reinforces the idea that a relationship with God should be above everything else. One part in particular shows an incredibly simple but equally poignant diagram of the relationship one should have with God and everyone else using the "most important" commandments: to love God with all that you are and to love your neighbor as yourself. This part drew importance to perhaps the most overlooked part of this commandment as well: loving yourself.

Simple Man Simple Message is a remarkably impactful little book. It takes mere minutes each day to read, but you'll certainly want to put in the work and answer the handful of questions after each chapter to get the most out of it. Anyone who has been focusing on the wrong things in life and wondered why they aren't happy, anyone who wants a stronger relationship with God, and anyone who needs to be reminded of what's truly important will get a lot out of this book. However, I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who isn't Christian. My rating of the book is 4 out of 4 stars, and I can't think of a single negative thing to say about it aside from the three grammatical errors I found.

Simple Man Simple Message
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Reading your review I made up my mind to read this book asap, until you mentioned that the book is definitely for Christians.
c4bersg1rl
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 2078
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by c4bersg1rl »

A self-help, self-reflection type book that is meant to be read each day for a week seems like something that I might need to take a look at. I think we all could do with peering within ourselves every once in a while. I am not an overly spiritual individual, but I don't think you really need to be to get something from this book. Great review and it gives me something to think about, thanks.
Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you. - Princess Diana
Imstaci-1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imstaci-1.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Imstaci-1 »

Thanks for the review. Definitely a book I have to read. Refocusing can be crucial to happiness.
shamayelnur
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shamayelnur.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by shamayelnur »

Though not a fan but, I was looking to read some self help books. This might be the one I should try!
Eareeves99
Currently Reading: The Beautiful Ones
Bookshelf Size: 326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eareeves99.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Eareeves99 »

Bible -based Scriptural self-help books have long been one of my favorite. So many enter adulthood without having a clear idea of who they are, what they stand for, and what part your childhood trauma (if any) played. Perhaps there is some clear advice for those seeking within those pages.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”