Official Review: The Son Will Rise In December

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Official Review: The Son Will Rise In December

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Son Will Rise In December" by Eddie Pabon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Son Will Rise in December, by Eddie Pabon, is a difficult read. This is not because of advanced vocabulary, a convoluted plot, or even high-minded concepts. The difficulty arises through its very nature. It is a powerful, raw, and poignantly emotional memoir revealing the author’s journey through physical and emotional abuse as a child (along with his siblings), and the complete and utter failure of a system that was supposed to protect them. Written from the heart, it reveals how, through pure determination and grit, the author survives homelessness, hopelessness, loss, and fear. Yet through it all, he valiantly struggles to care not just for himself, but for his five abandoned siblings as well. Though none of them emerge unscathed, The Son will Rise in December is a testament to the author’s courage, resilience, and ultimate triumph.

In telling his story, the author pulls no punches with imagery. It is both powerful and visceral. The author describes the traumatic events of his life with transparency and vivid detail. Pabon’s writing style draws the reader deeply and inexorably into the pages that set forth the tragedy of his early life and the struggles that followed him into adulthood. It is as if you are witnessing the traumatic events as they happen. The intense emotion flows through every word from beginning to end.

Trigger warning: Anyone who is especially sensitive to reading about child and spousal abuse is firmly advised to look elsewhere for reading material. Drug use and addiction are other potential triggers.

This being a memoir, one would not expect ‘character development.’ Pabon, however, delivers it anyway. In this case, the ‘characters’ are real people and, although the book is primarily about his own struggle, we are also given insight into many of those who peopled the author’s journey. We meet and come to know each of his siblings. We are introduced to his mother, whose love is the only constant in his life. Then appears the abusive stepfather. Because of this man, the author’s early life was shaded in the darkness of a bruise that is never allowed to heal. There are others in and out of his life, but none touch him as closely as these few.

Throughout its pages, the memoir conveys emotions of vulnerability, profound loss, and pain. You will find yourself rooting for some of the people in his life (especially his mom) while intensely despising others. However, in the end, what shines through its darkness is insight, inspiration, the glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel, and an entirely new way of viewing life. The author teaches us that nothing in life is ever promised, but we should never surrender our dreams. He instills in us the knowledge that we should never take for granted anything or anyone in our life; they can be snatched away in the span of a heartbeat.

Above all, the author’s story instills in the reader the knowledge that life truly is what you make it, even if it comes through pain and fear. We are shown that if we dig deep, the will to endure exists. Most of all, we witness the almost primal joy that comes with ultimate triumph through adversity.

Memoirs are not my genre of choice. That said, I could really find nothing I disliked about this book. I am pleased (and somewhat astonished) to report that the only ‘errors’ I found could easily be attributed to style choice by the author. It is a rarity to find a book so well-edited. Given this and the raw honesty with which the author reveals his story, I wholeheartedly give The Son Will Rise in December, by Eddie Pabon, a full 4 out of 4 stars.

A final take away from the book for you…” Never give up, never surrender.”

The Son Will Rise In December
View: on Bookshelves
Books are my self-medication. 8)
gatuguta2030
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatuguta2030.html
Latest Review: Spirit of the Season by Brian Lamont

Post by gatuguta2030 »

Kelyn wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 23:02 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Son Will Rise In December" by Eddie Pabon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Son Will Rise in December, by Eddie Pabon, is a difficult read. This is not because of advanced vocabulary, a convoluted plot, or even high-minded concepts. The difficulty arises through its very nature. It is a powerful, raw, and poignantly emotional memoir revealing the author’s journey through physical and emotional abuse as a child (along with his siblings), and the complete and utter failure of a system that was supposed to protect them. Written from the heart, it reveals how, through pure determination and grit, the author survives homelessness, hopelessness, loss, and fear. Yet through it all, he valiantly struggles to care not just for himself, but for his five abandoned siblings as well. Though none of them emerge unscathed, The Son will Rise in December is a testament to the author’s courage, resilience, and ultimate triumph.

In telling his story, the author pulls no punches with imagery. It is both powerful and visceral. The author describes the traumatic events of his life with transparency and vivid detail. Pabon’s writing style draws the reader deeply and inexorably into the pages that set forth the tragedy of his early life and the struggles that followed him into adulthood. It is as if you are witnessing the traumatic events as they happen. The intense emotion flows through every word from beginning to end.

Trigger warning: Anyone who is especially sensitive to reading about child and spousal abuse is firmly advised to look elsewhere for reading material. Drug use and addiction are other potential triggers.

This being a memoir, one would not expect ‘character development.’ Pabon, however, delivers it anyway. In this case, the ‘characters’ are real people and, although the book is primarily about his own struggle, we are also given insight into many of those who peopled the author’s journey. We meet and come to know each of his siblings. We are introduced to his mother, whose love is the only constant in his life. Then appears the abusive stepfather. Because of this man, the author’s early life was shaded in the darkness of a bruise that is never allowed to heal. There are others in and out of his life, but none touch him as closely as these few.

Throughout its pages, the memoir conveys emotions of vulnerability, profound loss, and pain. You will find yourself rooting for some of the people in his life (especially his mom) while intensely despising others. However, in the end, what shines through its darkness is insight, inspiration, the glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel, and an entirely new way of viewing life. The author teaches us that nothing in life is ever promised, but we should never surrender our dreams. He instills in us the knowledge that we should never take for granted anything or anyone in our life; they can be snatched away in the span of a heartbeat.

Above all, the author’s story instills in the reader the knowledge that life truly is what you make it, even if it comes through pain and fear. We are shown that if we dig deep, the will to endure exists. Most of all, we witness the almost primal joy that comes with ultimate triumph through adversity.

Memoirs are not my genre of choice. That said, I could really find nothing I disliked about this book. I am pleased (and somewhat astonished) to report that the only ‘errors’ I found could easily be attributed to style choice by the author. It is a rarity to find a book so well-edited. Given this and the raw honesty with which the author reveals his story, I wholeheartedly give The Son Will Rise in December, by Eddie Pabon, a full 4 out of 4 stars.

A final take away from the book for you…” Never give up, never surrender.”

The Son Will Rise In December
View: on Bookshelves
Very good review. I will read this book. Sounds interesting.
Marion Jepkosgei
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marion-jepkosgei.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Marion Jepkosgei »

Wonderful review! I can feel the emotions in every word of your review. This is amazing! The book truly is one of its kind.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

Wow, such an emotionally laden memoir. I sure would like to check it out. Thanks for this insightful review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Post by Dominik_G »

I'm very interested in trauma literature and The Son Will Rise In December sounds like something I need to get my hands on. I've just added it to my Bookshelf in the "want to read" section. Thank you for your amazing review!
Wy_Bertram
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Wy_Bertram »

This sounds like a very compelling and heartbreaking story. Mildly relatable in a sense too. thanks for the fantastic review.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Marion Jepkosgei wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 07:10 Wonderful review! I can feel the emotions in every word of your review. This is amazing! The book truly is one of its kind.
Elvis Best wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 08:02 Wow, such an emotionally laden memoir. I sure would like to check it out. Thanks for this insightful review. Good job!
Thank you for the compliments, they are appreciated. The book is definitely worth the read. Enjoy! And thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

gatuguta2030 wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 06:40
Very good review. I will read this book. Sounds interesting.
Thank you! I hope you find it as interesting as I did! Thanks for stopping in and commenting!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Dominik_G wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 10:19 I'm very interested in trauma literature and The Son Will Rise In December sounds like something I need to get my hands on. I've just added it to my Bookshelf in the "want to read" section. Thank you for your amazing review!
Thank you for the compliment, I appreciate it! I hope you find the book as touching as I did. Thanks for dropping by and commenting!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Wy_Bertram wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 14:51 This sounds like a very compelling and heartbreaking story. Mildly relatable in a sense too. thanks for the fantastic review.
Those are very good descriptors for the book. Thank you for the compliment and for stopping by and commenting!
Breview
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Breview »

I would love to start with this book."written from the heart" indeed.
Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star-and-buck.html
Latest Review: Abby the Dog and Tigger the Cat by P.L. (Patricia) Rainey

Post by Star_and_Buck »

Good review! A review must read for teenagers in my opinion.
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

The author has given an apt title to his story. I really want to see how he comes out of all the abuse and rises. Thanks for the amazing review.
Miks_solon
Favorite Book: Inviting Muslims to Christ
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miks-solon.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Miks_solon »

I don't enjoy memoirs, too. But reading your review, I'm eager to know the moral principles this book has to offer. Nice review.
"Sometimes we need fantasy to survive the reality"
gatuguta2030
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatuguta2030.html
Latest Review: Spirit of the Season by Brian Lamont

Post by gatuguta2030 »

Marion Jepkosgei wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 07:10 Wonderful review! I can feel the emotions in every word of your review. This is amazing! The book truly is one of its kind.
Well said.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”