Official Review: You Got This! by Linda Bjork

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Standor5865
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-standor5865.html
Latest Review: The 2021 Chronicles by A Glenn Rose

Official Review: You Got This! by Linda Bjork

Post by Standor5865 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "You Got This!" by Linda Bjork.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Anxiety disorders are the most common mental illness in the U.S., affecting 40 million adults in the United States aged 18 and older, or 18.1% of the population every year; the average annual medical cost for individuals diagnosed with any anxiety disorder was estimated at $6,475 in 2005."

These worrying statistics show the relevance of the book You Got This!: an action plan to calm fear, anxiety, worry, and stress, by Linda Bjork, in the society today. In this book, Linda Bjork attempts to help readers with practical plans to combat anxiety, fear, worry, and stress that have been known to lead to mental, cardiovascular, and bowel disorders. Throughout seven detailed chapters, the author reiterates that we are the experts on ourselves and have all the tools required to live stress-free lives. All we need are lessons on how to access and apply these tools.

You Got This! deserves the maximum rating of 4 out of 4 stars, as it is practical, concise, and well-executed. Honestly, I have not read a self-help book that has impacted my life like this in a while.

The author kicks off with three relatable examples of times when anxiety, stress, and worry affected her and the people around her. These examples were consistently referred to, and they were employed to show readers how to apply the tools as the author dished out her lessons. I could see that the author had to deal with stress both at home and at work, just like I do, and I could see myself in the examples.

I was also excited by the author's exploration of the pathophysiological aspect of stress. The author discusses how fear and its siblings originate and activate the sympathetic nervous system, leading to a physiological state of stimulation, including increased heart rate and alertness. The positive and negative effects of this process are also discussed, and I liked this because the author did not dismiss the importance of fear and stress but showed that, like everything else in life, too much or too little is not good.

Furthermore, a lot of illustrations and charts are employed, including "the values clarification chart, the social support diagram, and the finding solutions chart." The examples I discussed previously are even used to show how all of these charts can be applied. With every lesson, the author employs a step-by-step approach. Spreading the lessons over a 30-day period was also helpful, as Linda Bjork explained the activities to carry out on a daily basis. This relieved some pressure, as I knew I didn't have to get it right in one day. Readers will not be lost at any point, as all of my questions were answered while I read. Terms that readers may find confusing, like "Reticular Activating System (RAS), Rapid Eye Movement (REM), Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)," were fully explained, and a clear and simple language was used throughout the book.

With respect to new things I learned, lessons on diaphragmatic breathing techniques, journaling exercises, and creating a virtual shield fulfilled my expectations. The power of positive affirmations, which I have been practicing for some years now, is also discussed, and it was great to see that I have been on the right track in that regard. Meditation techniques are also included in detail.

You Got This! is a well-edited book. I found just two errors throughout the text. This ensured that my reading flow was maintained throughout. There was absolutely nothing to dislike about this book. The author does very well to include references for the information included in the book. This book will be helpful to people that suffer from panic attacks and stress from different areas of life. High blood pressure patients will also benefit from this book.

You Got This!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

I have read a similar book on anxiety disorders. It was shocking to know about the significant details related to this issue. About 19 million people in America have experienced anxiety which remains under-diagonized for so many years. I hope books like these can bring about a better perspective at looking at lives as a way to combat stress.
Chris M K
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Chris M K »

This is amazing it show all side of our human race and how to get through it well it helps people keep control
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

I believe that in many cases of mental disorders, the patient may really not have any control over their feelings. While this book can be helpful, it does not trump the importance of professional help.

Thank you for the insightful review.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I beleive this book is especially important for the youth of today. I'd personally love to read it. Thanks for your insightful review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

Read something close on mental health, this is detailed enough as vies from the review. Thanks
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

Thanks for the review. Having a family that is prone to anxiety, I can understand the importance of having techniques to turn to when you overly stressed. This sounds like an interesting self help book.
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

I'm really glad there's a voice on this issue. It's eating up human as a silent weapon. I say kudos to Linda and to you for the review.
kljrox
Favorite Book: The Pentagon Years
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kljrox.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by kljrox »

I know that many people suffer silently with stress and anxiety because they are either ashamed of a perceived weakness or they are unaware of what's going on with their bodies. I'm glad to know that there are books out there that can help, this seems like one of them. Thank you for the excellent and insightful review.
"I promised myself that I would take the time to notice simple beauty every day."
Richard L. Haight
Brittney 45
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Brittney 45 »

This is amazing and the fact that i am deal with a similar thing it really help to hear some talk about it
baha Ibrahim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baha-ibrahim.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by baha Ibrahim »

well-designed action plan to calm fear, anxiety, worry, and stress. You’ll learn ways to decrease stressors and increase coping skills in this personable, practical
:tiphat: Baha :tiphat:
TADSAILS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tadsails.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by TADSAILS »

Anxiety and fear is something that affects all of us. The opening quote in the review highlights this. It's great that the author offers tips to handle this.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

This seems like a great self-help book. The author employs illustrations and charts, and the book is well referenced. It gives a thorough examination of the topic, anxiety.
Standor5865
Currently Reading:

Post by Standor5865 »

TADSAILS wrote: 05 Aug 2020, 05:54 Anxiety and fear is something that affects all of us. The opening quote in the review highlights this. It's great that the author offers tips to handle this.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Standor5865
Currently Reading:

Post by Standor5865 »

baha Ibrahim wrote: 04 Aug 2020, 12:44 well-designed action plan to calm fear, anxiety, worry, and stress. You’ll learn ways to decrease stressors and increase coping skills in this personable, practical
Yes. It is a practical book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”