Official Review: The Boy With Only One Shoe by J H Meller

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TalJB22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taljb22.html
Latest Review: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France by Michael C. Higgins, PhD

Official Review: The Boy With Only One Shoe by J H Meller

Post by TalJB22 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Boy With Only One Shoe" by J H Meller.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Boy with Only One Shoe: An Illustrated Memoir of Wartime Life with Bomber Command is an inspiring and intriguing autobiography told by Warrant Officer (Ret.) John Henry Meller with the help of his daughter, Caroline Brownbill. John was just about fifteen years old when Britain declared war on Germany and World War II became a terrifying reality. From the very beginning, he was eager to help defend his country in any way he could, and as soon as he turned eighteen, he applied to join the Royal Air Force. The story of his years in training and service to his country is truly inspirational.

John does an amazing job of pulling you back into the years between 1920 and 1950 and showing you just what life was like pre-war, post-war, and during the war. His first-hand accounts and wonderful story-telling skills kept me glued to the page. This book has it all – inspiration, adventure, romance, humor, and also great sadness and sacrifice.

I really love that the author mentions several heroes from so many different aspects of the war. For example, he talks about the incredible work of Archibald McIndoe who specialized in skin grafting during the war and was able to help so many soldiers. He also talks about the many people at home who were crucial to the war effort. Those who were making sure basic necessities were still available and those building the airplanes and equipment were just as important as those fighting on the front lines.

I cannot think of a single thing I disliked about this book. I appreciate the well-written narrative and the tone of the book that so easily takes you back in time. It is truly eye-opening to read what it was like to live through World War II from an individual’s perspective, and by no means just on the sidelines, but rather on the front lines.

I am very happy to give The Boy with Only One Shoe: An Illustrated Memoir of Wartime Life with Bomber Command four out of four stars. This book appears to have been well edited, as I only found one grammatical error as I read. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys autobiographies, history, and especially to anyone who is interested in learning more about World War II. It is a wonderful read, and very hard to put it down once you start.

I also want to take a moment to say, thank you, Warrant Officer (Ret.) John Henry Meller, for your service!

The Boy With Only One Shoe
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amaraah
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amaraah.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Amaraah »

Thank you for this review but unfortunately, I don't like wartime books.
It was nice reading this review.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This sounds like an intriguing account of life during wartime, and a bonus that the errors are minor. Thanks for the enthralling review.
leezab21
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by leezab21 »

I believe my husband would love to read this book

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”