Official Review: Notes From Grandpa by Quentin Gessner

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TCG
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcg.html
Latest Review: The Jewels Of The Rainbow by H.F. Snyder

Official Review: Notes From Grandpa by Quentin Gessner

Post by TCG »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Notes From Grandpa" by Quentin Gessner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Notes From Grandpa is a book written by Quentin Gessner. It is a collection of wise pieces of information given by the author to his grandchildren. During his professional career as a coach and as a mentor, he found fulfillment in helping people flourish. From his experiences, he discusses various principles that are helpful for his younger children to grow. These journals enlighten readers on critical issues of life and how to manage them.

Quentin Gessner starts by clarifying the meaning of character and how to evaluate one's personality. He explains how our choices can affect the kind of person we will eventually become in life. He gave other notes on self-control, spirituality, self-assessment, and he also instructed his children on building a positive attitude. In this book, readers will understand how to use these qualities to handle the circumstances of life. Quentin Gessner has an in-depth understanding of conflict resolution. Therefore, he added several ways of resolving disagreements.

My favorite aspect of this book is the author's opinion on spirituality. I learned enough lessons from his experiences. The writer states that "The ultimate goal of life remains the spiritual growth of the individual."  This comment pointed directly to my own experience. One unique thing about this book is that it deals with various facets of our lives. When I finished reading this book, I decided to build the habit of keeping my diary. I learned how to keep a daily memo of my pilgrimage in life. Almost everything in this novel gave me pleasure.

Notwithstanding, few things in this book troubled me. Firstly, the novelist failed to maintain consistency in his usage of words. Secondly, I counted about five typos in the whole tale. Since the pages of the book are few, I expected to see no flaws. What displeased me most about this book is the author's misuse of an ellipsis. The author abused this punctuation mark. There were instances in the book where the writer expended about five dots in an ellipsis. Nevertheless, the above-indicated flaws did not hinder my love for this book. It was like a letter from my grandfather to me.

There is nothing in this book that might prevent younger readers from enjoying the fountain of wisdom from this book. I give this book a good 4 out of 4 stars rating. I gave it a perfect score because of its enriching content. The errors in this book are minor. That is why I didn't subtract a star from the rating. I recommend this book to youths. I still consider it adequately written and edited.

Notes From Grandpa
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sjtoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sjtoy.html
Latest Review: Marriage Maximized by William Hutcheson

Post by Sjtoy »

This sounds like an uplifting read. It is always good to read a book that offers some life lessons every once in a while. Having recently lost my grandpa, this is a book I could appreciate. Thank you for your review.
Tablito
Favorite Book: The Mountain and The Goat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Tablito »

Quentin is right about developing a positive attitude. The success of everything we do is 100% dependent on our attitude.
SenSen
Currently Reading: Never Let Me Go
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sensen.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by SenSen »

Maybe I'm being subjective because I never had a grandfather, but this book really appeals to me. I would really like to read something enriching in knowledge about the way of a good life, and from a perspective of a person who had experienced enough to tell the tale. Thank you for the review!
It was so gorgeous it almost felt like sadness. The Lake, Banana Yoshimoto
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

Grandpa's are usually full of knowledge, and know how to pass this on to their kiddie kids😊. I sometimes find myself having questions and wishing that my grandpa were still around, cause I know he'd be the best person to answer them.
I'll like to read this book. I enjoyed reading this review. Cheers to you 😉.
Live and let live, baby.
Chiawa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiawa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Chiawa »

Spiritual growth and positive attitude are healthy virtues in handling most issues of life. coming from a grandpa, It is a golden advice. Superb review!
LuciusM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luciusm.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by LuciusM »

You cant be bitter and expect your life to be sweet. Thanks for your review!
"To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from all the miseries of life"
Kola+wole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kola-wole.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Kola+wole »

Taking life lessons on spiritual growth and building a positive attitude from grandpa is one sure way to get ahead in life. Thank for the review, it is excellent.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”