Official Review: Remove After Flight by C. H. Boyer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Official Review: Remove After Flight by C. H. Boyer

Post by Juliet+1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Remove After Flight" by C. H. Boyer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Commuting by plane to Boston from his home in rural Maine taught C.H. Boyer a great deal about the challenge of flying a small plane in all sorts of conditions. He learned even more about the world of private pilots and how they differ from pilots who fly for a living. He shares his experiences in Remove After Flight.

There is more to an airplane commute than one might think. Besides finding and purchasing a small plane, a project that requires studying the features and capabilities of a variety of models, one must arrange to store it at both departure and destination airports and locate an inexpensive car to keep at the destination airport. Then there is the small matter of learning to fly and meeting the requirements for a private pilot's license. Fortunately, the author had qualified for a pilot's license as a teenager; he only needed to review for the written test and practice for the "behind the wheel" test.

This book is packed with fascinating information about the specifics of getting a small plane from one airport to another and about what happens along the way. In crowded airspaces, Air Traffic Control is particularly important in providing pilots with information about weather issues and the activities of nearby aircraft.

Likewise, Mr. Boyer recounts in detail many experiences of encounters with foul weather and difficult runway conditions, always with the goal of saving others from making the same mistakes. His self-deprecating tone succeeds in turning most of these frightening events into humorous anecdotes. Taking off in a rain squall, landing in severe turbulence, and flying through a snowstorm are just a few of these exciting moments.

Although the narrative contains a certain amount of technical detail, the author frequently compares the fine points of flying a small plane to the procedures for driving a car. This approach makes the book very easy to understand. It is perfectly comprehensible to anyone who pilots only a car or truck.

The picture the author paints of his home in rural Maine and the small airfields he frequents adds to the pleasure of reading this book. Every airport comes with its own set of challenges, be it tall trees at the end of the runway, mountains surrounding the property, or heavy snows in winter. And landing in someone's pasture is not uncommon.

Remove After Flight has earned 4 out of 4 stars for its intriguing glimpses into life as a pilot, easily understandable technical details, exciting stories of adventures in the sky, and delightful humor. It is well written and well edited. Anyone with an interest in aviation, even experienced pilots, would enjoy this book. Novice pilots would benefit particularly from the stories of barely avoided mishaps. Readers who appreciate humorous adventure stories would also find Remove After Flight entertaining.

Remove After Flight
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I always knew planes were complicated, but this book seems to contain fascinating information. Thanks for your informative review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

I am sure my husband would enjoy reading this because he's almost obsessed with planes and flying 😁 I myself also find it interesting to take a look into a life of a pilot. Thanks for a thorough review!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Almera101
Currently Reading: Aircraft Safety
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-almera101.html
Latest Review: An Imperfect Crime by Fred G. Baker

Post by Almera101 »

As a really amature in aviation, but a lover of the field your review makes me want to read it! Thanks!
Chiawa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiawa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Chiawa »

This is very interesting. Comparing the complications of flying a plane to riding a Car drew me to this book.
Juliet+1
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

Chiawa wrote: 12 Aug 2020, 19:00 This is very interesting. Comparing the complications of flying a plane to riding a Car drew me to this book.
Thanks for stopping by to leave a comment. :D
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I didn't realise there were so many nitty gritties that go with having a small aircraft. The challenges told in delightful humor has reduced the terror of technical mumbo jumbo that I had envisioned. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I’m not into the technicalities of aircrafts, but this book seems to be very informative. Thanks for your wonderful review.
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

I'm glad the author wrote this book. I thought flying planes was a mindless thing like driving race cars, but I'm already enlightened just by reading this review.
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I would definitely love to check this one out, especially considering the book has a humorous line in it :) Thank you very much for a great review!
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

That was certainly clever - comparing flying to driving. I'd actually want to read this one. Thanks for the recommendation!
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I have not read a book like this and the author's motivation to help others not to make similar mistakes augurs well with me too. Nice review. 💫
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I'm not exactly fascinated by planes, so I'd pass on this one. People interested with aeroplanes will benefit the most from reading this book. Great review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”