Official Review: God's with You by YP Accilien

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Official Review: God's with You by YP Accilien

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "God's with You" by YP Accilien.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

God's with You by YP Accilien is a short but profound book that reveals how we can live our best lives. This book shows how God loves us in a way that we will never fully understand. It also explains how He works through our circumstances, fears, and flaws to move us forward and into our best days. However, the author clearly stated that the onus is on us to let God work in and through us. Accilien uses everything in her arsenal to craft this fantastic resource. The message of the book is immediately apparent. However, the way the author details how we can live a life of triumph is what makes it worth the trouble.

The first thing that captured my interest while reading was the light-hearted approach the author deployed. The book used a conversational tone, which, in my opinion, made it easier to follow and understand. In the description, the book was said to be a self-help book. I initially thought that it would be just another book spewing generic positivity (not that there's anything wrong about that). But when I started reading, I was happy that this wasn't the case. The author approached this book from a solid—but not forceful—Christian perspective, something I enjoyed being a Christian myself.

She used enough stories from the Bible to lay the foundation for many of the points she made in the book. These included stories about people like David, Paul, Ananias, Peter, and Jacob. There were also many scriptural references in this book. However, they appeared only in the right places. They fit seamlessly with the rest of the book and didn't interrupt the flow.

I loved how the author referred to her role as a mother to explain the relationship between God and us. In the chapters that followed, she took the time to describe the phenomenon that is fear in its different forms and effects. Here, Accilien tried to give real-life scenarios showing how fear could play out. However, I think it was a little overkill at this point. In a bid to treat the issue of fear exhaustively, she gave too many examples and delved into painful details that were frankly unnecessary. In all, the book could have been more concise.

I also appreciated each chapter's structure, especially the fact that they all had two sections: "Practical Application" and "Appeal." The first one served to show practical ways to apply what had been taught, and the second was a call to buoy readers on to take the next step in their journey. I mostly appreciated that the author didn't shy away from the fact that the best life anyone can live can only be found in God.

I enjoyed reading this book. This is why I was sad to encounter a few lengthy sentences and a plethora of grammatical errors, including typos, missing words, misuse of prepositions, and more. Many of these errors were avoidable. It was clear that this book didn't go through a professional editor, which was a serious oversight. Some of the lengthy sentences also made portions of the book difficult to grasp.

I would have loved to give God's with You a full rating, but owing to the grammatical issues, I can only give it a 3 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to Christians who feel down on their luck and need reassurance that God is waiting to walk them through every storm. If you're not a Christian but are open-minded and keen on positive messages, you could also give it a try.

God's with You
View: on Bookshelves
Mukukamm30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mukukamm30.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Mukukamm30 »

An interesting book. It's also gratifying that the author used a none forceful way to communicate her message and that she had structured the chapters to explain a practical approach and an appeal to buoy the reader into taking the next step. I would gladly be interested in reading it.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I do enjoy reading Christian self-help books. Thanks for your insightful review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Kola+wole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kola-wole.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Kola+wole »

The author's approach makes this book appealing to read. Great review.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author presents a powerful message of how God works through both our fears and flaws to move us forward in life. I think many people would find that helpful when they are questioning the 'why?' things happen in their life (or the world.) You have highlighted many of the positive things this book has to offer. It sounds like an inspiring read. Thanks!
LuciusM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luciusm.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by LuciusM »

I would like to read this book someday. The free tone of the author seems like it can make a reader have hope and trust in God. Nice review.
GNerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnerd.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by GNerd »

This book will truly help in faith building. Well done on this one.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”