Official Review: The Great Depression of the 2020s

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: The Great Depression of the 2020s

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Great Depression of the 2020s" by Don Braby.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In The Great Depression of the 2020s, Don Braby makes a compelling case that if history repeats itself, America is headed for its next economic collapse. Braby examines precedents from history, cyclical time patterns, and economic cycles. He addresses problematic issues with the Federal Reserve, income inequality, the stock market, debt, and deflation. Braby explains how a shift from a bull market to a bear market may signal the beginning of a recession: "Just as a bull market can produce optimism as prices overshoot the norm, a bear market will produce extreme pessimism and cause prices to undershoot the average. Then a turn begins." Additionally, Braby discusses how crises like 9/11, racial conflicts, and the coronavirus pandemic affect the American psyche. He stresses the need for Americans to unite and ask for God's guidance.

Despite an incorrect page count of 87 on Amazon, the nonfiction book is actually 156 pages. As Braby frequently cites other sources, the book includes several pages of endnotes. Braby provides examples to support the theory that history does, in fact, repeat itself. His points are particularly persuasive as he compares the historic events in the 1920s that culminated in the stock market crash of 1929, with more recent occurrences from the last 20 years. Braby suggests a plausible reason behind America's unraveling: "Simply put, history repeats itself because people forget history."

For those concerned about the "doom and gloom" subject matter, Braby also includes tips for reducing personal debt, investment advice, and a list of jobs that are likely to remain stable during a depression. However, the portions of the book I enjoyed most were his reflections about growing up on a farm, which added a personal perspective. Braby encourages readers who are seeking spiritual answers to contact him and provides his email address at the end of the book.

On the other hand, the book has a rushed characteristic that I dislike. First, Braby makes multiple references to July 2020, leaving the impression that the book may have been written and published in the same month. While this is not unheard of, there are a few other factors that contribute to the hasty presentation, including the lack of professional editing and inconsistent formatting, such as the distracting use of more than one font in a single word. Finally, a bizarre disclaimer at the beginning of the book seems like a misguided attempt to cover some of these issues: "This book is a work of nonfiction. Unless otherwise noted, the author and the publisher make no explicit guarantees as to the accuracy of the information contained in this book." While Braby may be referring to some of his suppositions about future events, I find the disclaimer disconcerting in a nonfiction book that includes significant portions of quoted content. I suggest rewording it or changing the genre.

For all of the above reasons, I rate The Great Depression of the 2020s 2 out of 4 stars. Although it needs a thorough round of professional editing, it is an interesting read in light of the pandemic and the current economic issues. It will appeal to readers who are interested in the spiritual, political, and financial history and future of the United States.

The Great Depression of the 2020s
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

History is there not to experience it again, or to experience the best of it in a new light. Nice review
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Dayodiola wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 12:13 History is there not to experience it again, or to experience the best of it in a new light. Nice review
Thank you. :tiphat:
Gabby S14
Favorite Book: All the Light We Cannot See
Currently Reading: The Sound and the Fury
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabby-s14.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Gabby S14 »

It's a shame that the book is a bit sloppy-looking at the moment. I imagine some of the information (if truly correct) could be quite useful. Lovely review!
Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star-and-buck.html
Latest Review: Abby the Dog and Tigger the Cat by P.L. (Patricia) Rainey

Post by Star_and_Buck »

I am not a fan of this kinda book. Nice and detailed review.
bhumika_katyayan44
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhumika-katyayan44.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by bhumika_katyayan44 »

Liked the review but the book didn't interest me.
Doziesixtus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doziesixtus.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Doziesixtus »

Star_and_Buck wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 20:32 I am not a fan of this kinda book. Nice and detailed review.
Really?
It has a lot of financial knowledge to pass. I like finance tho.
Mohammed_Sameer2
Favorite Author: Marcel Proust (Author)
Favorite Book: Swann's Way: In Search of Lost Time, Vol. 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mohammed-sameer2.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
fav_author_id: 221667

Post by Mohammed_Sameer2 »

You imply to the economic, cultural, complex topic of the book Cecilia_L, and you also discuss the questions of the classing of the book.
While I was reading the review, I remembered the last books which were written by Francis Fukuyama about the current conditions of global economy and the intellectual discourse of Michel Foucault about the social powers. Therefore, there are some mysterious expectations as you say. Have a great day.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Gabby S14 wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 18:08 It's a shame that the book is a bit sloppy-looking at the moment. I imagine some of the information (if truly correct) could be quite useful. Lovely review!
Thank you, Gabby.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Star_and_Buck wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 20:32 I am not a fan of this kinda book. Nice and detailed review.
Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

bhumika_katyayan44 wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 21:26 Liked the review but the book didn't interest me.
Thanks for commenting.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Mohammed_Sameer2 wrote: 16 Aug 2020, 07:41 You imply to the economic, cultural, complex topic of the book Cecilia_L, and you also discuss the questions of the classing of the book.
While I was reading the review, I remembered the last books which were written by Francis Fukuyama about the current conditions of global economy and the intellectual discourse of Michel Foucault about the social powers. Therefore, there are some mysterious expectations as you say. Have a great day.
Thank you. :tiphat:
Patrick Maina1
Currently Reading: The Power of Habit
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patrick-maina1.html
Latest Review: How To Keep Your Daughter From Slamming the Door by Deborah Ann Davis
Reading Device: Moonreader

Post by Patrick Maina1 »

History repeats itself.I will read just to find out how the author argues his case.Great review.
BraItu
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braitu.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by BraItu »

The cover already says a lot about the book. Thank you for the honest review
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author does well to remind readers of the past and the correlation of events with what is happening today. I appreciate your comments about the author's advice so readers do not despair! Even if he is off on some points, he is on the right track. Thanks for your insights about this book!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”