Official Review: Listen to Him

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: My Spouse, my friend by Ingiete Oyama

Official Review: Listen to Him

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Listen to Him" by Rev. Kevin Michael Tortorelli, O.F.M..]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Listen to Him is a collection of homilies compiled by Reverend Kevin Michael Tortorelli, O.F.M. The author is a seasoned Franciscan friar and Roman Catholic priest who served as a teacher at Siena College and the Carthusian Charterhouse of the Transfiguration. The book boasts homilies for all occasions, with samples of homilies delivered during regular Sunday services, at funerals, on special occasions such as weddings, and major feasts.

The book encourages readers to listen to God by reading the bible and meditating on the Word of God. The primary aim of these homilies is to offer spiritual guidance, companionship, healing, and enlightenment. These homilies carry messages which the priest has conveyed to audiences in different settings, they are also an expression of the priest’s encounter with the Word of God.

While reading the book, the author’s passion for the work of the Lord stood out. The time taken to compile this book and the meticulous selection of scriptures woven into these homilies attest to the priest’s commitment and dedication. When introducing a new topic, the author references several accompanying scriptures. This also proved the extent of studying and research conducted before compiling a specific homily.

I found the layout of the book to be appealing and well-organized, allowing for a seamless flow from one chapter to the next. The topics were relatable and relevant. There was nothing I disliked about the book. Although there were many inserts of homilies for Sunday services, I enjoyed the messages they conveyed.

With only 266 pages, I assumed the PDF version of the book was relatively short. Was I not proven wrong after reading a couple of pages? To give readers some context, the book contains a collection of homilies recited every Sunday over a three-year period. This excludes several samples of homilies for weddings, funerals, major feasts, and other special occasions. What I liked was that the samples were short, sweet, and straight to the point.

While the book used appropriate language with no profanity, I came across several grammatical errors that interfered with my comprehension of some sections of the text. As a result, I am compelled to award the booking a rating of only 3 out of 4 stars and recommend another round of editing.

The book is based on biblical teachings. I, therefore, recommend it to Christians, especially those with strong affiliations to the Catholic Church as they will relate to its teachings more.

Listen to Him
View: on Bookshelves
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Anne wambui
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Anne wambui »

People should leasten to other so that they may be corrected by them and obeing commands is good at all,the should also engage them self by going to church.
While in church you should listen well about the teachings of the pastor because many of the words may help you about there.
Last edited by Anne wambui on 11 Nov 2020, 09:09, edited 1 time in total.
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Even though I am going to skip reading this one, I enjoyed reading your detailed and insightful review.
Bookworm101520
Currently Reading: Dead Mountain
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm101520.html
Latest Review: Crooked Creek: A Comedy about Writer's Block and a Neurotic Home Owners Association by Fredrick Robertson

Post by Bookworm101520 »

This sounds like an interesting and detailed book! I bet it would be supremely useful to the right person. Thanks for a great review.
Currently Reading:

Anne wambui wrote: 11 Nov 2020, 09:06 People should leasten to other so that they may be corrected by them and obeing commands is good at all,the should also engage them self by going to church.
While in church you should listen well about the teachings of the pastor because many of the words may help you about there.
Thanks for reading the review.
Currently Reading:

Bookworm101520 wrote: 13 Nov 2020, 16:18 This sounds like an interesting and detailed book! I bet it would be supremely useful to the right person. Thanks for a great review.
Thanks for taking the time to read and comment!
Currently Reading:

Saint Bruno wrote: 12 Nov 2020, 13:09 Even though I am going to skip reading this one, I enjoyed reading your detailed and insightful review.
Thanks for stopping by Saint Bruno. I appreciate your comment.
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

Sounds like a well detailed book for those in the Christian faith. I may not take up reading this one but I’m truly grateful for you precisely insightful review.
Currently Reading:

Pearl Akpan wrote: 19 Nov 2020, 07:58 Sounds like a well detailed book for those in the Christian faith. I may not take up reading this one but I’m truly grateful for you precisely insightful review.
Thank you for taking the time to read the review and leave a comment. Appreciated!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”