Official Review: Winter Wheat by Ronald J. Gerhard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MeganDJ
Currently Reading: Mirrored Worlds
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megandj.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Winter Wheat by Ronald J. Gerhard

Post by MeganDJ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Winter Wheat" by Ronald J. Gerhard.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Winter Wheat by Ron J. Gerhard is a memoir-style book that takes you on the journey of his life. He begins his account where all good stories start, at the beginning. Ron came from a broken home as his father and mother separated when he was still very young. His mother, who struggled to keep the household afloat as a single mom, decided to place her two children in homes in the hopes that they would lead more fulfilling and comfortable lives. Moving from one home to the next became a frequent occurrence until they were old enough to take control of their own lives.

Unsure of his path in life, Ron decided to join the army where he worked as a fighter plane mechanic. This humble beginning was the start of a long career in various positions, from nursing to public speaking and everything in between. He details the numerous trips he embarked on with his wife, the birth of their three sons, and the lessons he has learned along the way.

The author’s biography is written authentically and honestly, giving the readers a glimpse into his very long and fulfilling life. To keep the memoir concise and logical, he ordered his noteworthy events in batches; each chapter representing a decade of his life. This structure enhanced the flow of writing, and prevented jarring leaps in time that could confuse the reader. I appreciated the author’s foresight in including general socioeconomic statistics that help the reader get a better perspective on the world-wide events that were happening at the time. His nuggets of wisdom at times were a welcome intervention that gave me something to think about during my days.

Unfortunately, that is where the positives of the memoir ends. I found numerous errors during my read, and I believe that the book wasn't proofread at all. From the use of incorrect words to the misplacement or omission of commas, it was riddled with mistakes that can’t be ignored. Although I appreciated the idea of providing an account of his life, and all the lessons that he has learned, I cannot recommend this book to anyone outside of his family. I would never want to discount the events of a life, but I found it extremely difficult at times to continue reading this book.

With all that said, I will award this memoir 2 out of 4 stars. The book can be incredibly slow at times, and I found my interest waning by the end of the book. This book contains no explicit scenes, and only one instance of profanity. If you can get through the lengthier portions of the book, I would recommend this one to mature audiences who love memoirs, and the lessons that can be gleaned from them. My highest recommendation would be that the family takes the opportunity to read the stories of their ancestor.

Winter Wheat
View: on Bookshelves
He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe - Marcus Aurelius
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your honest review. What a shame that this book is not very well-developed. Reading a not-so-intriguing book could be tiresome, and it will make the readers lose interest in the author's story.
MeganDJ
Currently Reading: Mirrored Worlds
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megandj.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MeganDJ »

Sou Hi wrote: 23 Nov 2020, 20:37 Thanks for your honest review. What a shame that this book is not very well-developed. Reading a not-so-intriguing book could be tiresome, and it will make the readers lose interest in the author's story.
I 100% agree :) I believe memoirs, although written from personal perspective, should be written in a way that portrays a profound lesson that is important enough to share with the general public. Unfortunately, I didn't find that here. Thank you so much for stopping by! Happy reading :techie-studyinggray:
He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe - Marcus Aurelius
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

It's so sad when a book with potential fails on the proofreading side. If it cannot keep a reader's interest, it needs to go through another round of editing and I hope the author does so. Thanks for still finishing the review beautifully and honestly! Good job!
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Thanks for this insightful review. I'm always inspired reading memoirs.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I hope the author heeds your advice and rectifies the esiting mishaps in the book at least. Thanks for the honest review.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

Sounds like the author has written a memoir that is honest and full of life lessons. It’s too bad the book is poorly edited and the writing is a bit unengaging. Thanks for your honest review.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Congratulations for your resilience and your honesty. I hope the author will be able to fix the errors. Great job with the review!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Thanks for your honest review. Although I love reading memoirs this one sounds quite discouraging.
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Post by Dominik_G »

I love reading memoirs and it's sad to see Winter Wheat hasn't reached its full potential yet. Hopefully, a round of constructive and thorough editing will help it reach the next level. Thank you for your well-written and honest review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”