Official Review: When God Does Not Answer An Honest Prayer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Official Review: When God Does Not Answer An Honest Prayer

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "When God Does Not Answer An Honest Prayer" by Daniel Jappah.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Christian life is filled with questions — so many "whys" and "what ifs." One question thousands of believers must have asked at one time or another is, "Why didn't God answer my prayer?" Daniel Jappah tries to answer these questions in When God Does Not Answer An Honest Prayer.

In this book, we find possible answers to questions like: "Is there a God?" "What do science and philosophy have to say about God?" "What causes doubt?" "What is an honest prayer?" "Does God work with our expectations and deadlines?" "Where is God in the midst of suffering (and prosperity)?" We also find out why God doesn't answer some prayers and what to do when this happens.

With references to Bible passages and examples from his own life, the author reaches out to people who have questioned their faith and belief and offers them a lifeline to hold on to amid the confusion and difficulties they might be facing. This book is geared towards Christians, as they will easily relate to the book and find the content applicable to them.

I admired the author's writing style. He was straightforward and logical in his approach, cutting out unnecessary discourse. It was very easy for me to read this book and understand it. True to his word, the author kept the theological and philosophical jargon to a minimum, making it easy for a layperson to understand the book. This aspect appealed to me the most.

I also liked the way the book was organized. The points were arranged systematically. He started from the root of the matter, explained the problem, and then answered the implied questions in the book's title and introduction. The writing was organized, too — not scattered all over the place. It followed a logical progression that would likely leave the reader nodding in agreement in the end.

The author was thoughtful enough to add references to the speeches and writings he quoted. This would allow the reader to verify them. The index added would help the reader navigate the book and make it easier to find a particular term or concept mentioned in it quickly.

There were a plethora of errors that would require another round of professional editing to fix. Other than that, I could not find anything to dislike about this book. However, I'd rate it 3 out of 4 stars because there were up to ten errors. This book would benefit any Christian who had questioned their faith at one time or the other. Non-Christians would find it very hard to relate to this book but could read it out of curiosity.

When God Does Not Answer An Honest Prayer
View: on Bookshelves
Carlshazeel
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Carlshazeel »

Organized and systematic flow of ideas.Good relation, encouraging and strengthening Christian's faith.I thank the writer.
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Unique Ego »

I can understand how having doubts about God's place in the midst of our circumstances is an existentially crucial issue. I'd love to read the fine details of this author's response in this regard.
Tonze
Currently Reading: Don't Sweat the Small Stuff
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonze.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Post by Tonze »

The book seems to be helpful. Thanks for your great review

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”