Official Review: How to write your own check

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Faithy_Goody_Star
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithy-star.html
Latest Review: Autism: One Grandparent's Roadmap by Geoffrey Robinson

Official Review: How to write your own check

Post by Faithy_Goody_Star »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "How to write your own check" by Kelly Patrick Riggs.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Individuals in prison are usually not allowed to earn. Ex-convicts face difficulties while searching for jobs. Interestingly, this book seeks to equip these individuals with the skills needed to take advantage of the opportunities available in the field of writing.

In How to write your own check, Kelly Patrick Riggs revealed his experiences while writing his first book as a prisoner. He also uncovered his mistakes, encouraged readers not to make similar ones, and laid bare certain misconceptions in writing. Furthermore, he explained in detail the various steps it should take to write and earn. Such steps range from marketing an idea, researching one's topic, publishing a book, and several others.

The author's primary purpose for writing this book is to equip inmates as several points are geared towards them. However, he is of the view that “people on the outside” can benefit from it, and he also disclosed the resources available to them.

At a point in this book, I felt that it was all about writing a book as the writer focused more on it. However, as I read the book further, I discovered that the information provided could be applied to most kinds of writing—like article writing—if not all.

Key points explored by the author are boldly titled and spread across different chapters, and this reflects the perfectly organized nature of this book. This is what I loved most as it made me mentally prepared for what to expect in each chapter. Also, it made the book appear easy to read and assimilate.

This book is about 52 pages, and considering its nature, this length is just the perfect one to keep readers engrossed in it. Also, it shows that the book is concise and does not incorporate irrelevant information.

Undoubtedly, the author aims to inform and educate, however; I came across a few jokes that lightened the mood.

There was nothing I disliked about this book, as it is almost perfect. However, the only complaint I have about it is the presence of spelling and punctuation errors. Although they had little impact on my enjoyment of this book, they are enough for me to deduct one star. Therefore, I am rating How to write your own check three out of four stars.

This book contains no profane words. Furthermore, there are no erotic scenes. Inmates and aspiring authors searching for a means of income will find this book beneficial, and I recommend it to them.

How to write your own check
View: on Bookshelves
Tonze
Currently Reading: Don't Sweat the Small Stuff
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonze.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Post by Tonze »

wow! this sound like an interesting and informational self-help book. I think that inmates can found this novel very inspirational and useful of course if they get a chance to read. I am very touched that the author think about them, congratulation to his good job and thank you for the honesty review.
Sararob06
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sararob06.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Sararob06 »

I often see after-prison strategies geared towards making the most out of what little will be offered to them which I find disheartening and it ultimately ill prepares the convicts for the free world. I think this book will be a great help to prisoners as it seems to be short and sweet, easy to read and understand but also provides assistance with a basic skill that can help them in the future. Great write up for a book so short, I think you did well in not filling your review with extra just to make the word minimum.
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Nice.... I like folks who see a problem as an opportunity. Thanks a lot for the insightful review and recommendation.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: My Spouse, my friend by Ingiete Oyama

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

When inmates have served their time, they need to be integrated backinto communities. They must also make an honest living in order to avoid committing crimes. The author did well to write this book. Thanks for the review!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”