Official Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Wekesa Namuyonga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wekesa-namuyonga.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Re: Official Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Wekesa Namuyonga »

The title is what got me to read this review and i have love it. Thanks for the knowledge shared.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

Wekesa Namuyonga wrote: 17 Dec 2020, 14:29 The title is what got me to read this review and i have love it. Thanks for the knowledge shared.
Thanks for stopping by, much appreciated!
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

I read this book and found it to be judgemental. I was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder with psychotlc features in 2006 by a psychiatric hospital. When I picked this book up, I had hoped to read about possible remedies that could help. My problem was that if I could define what causes my recurring episodes, then I would solve the problem. When the author listed causes, her methods would be highly ineffective. For example the children raised in poverty are prone to depression and then genetic factors can cause depression. Can those individuals control and solve their depression? No. We don't choose who are biological parents are and children cannot control the conditions they live in. Medication is not a cure all- it masks the issues if used for a long term. I agree that the book was way too short for the topic it tried to cover. Your review was great though, good job.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Petruschka1
Currently Reading: India in Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-petruschka1.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Post by Petruschka1 »

I like that the author gives helpful tips and advice, especially regarding positive thinking and problem-solving.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

Mounce574 wrote: 25 Jan 2021, 17:06 I read this book and found it to be judgemental. I was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder with psychotlc features in 2006 by a psychiatric hospital. When I picked this book up, I had hoped to read about possible remedies that could help. My problem was that if I could define what causes my recurring episodes, then I would solve the problem. When the author listed causes, her methods would be highly ineffective. For example the children raised in poverty are prone to depression and then genetic factors can cause depression. Can those individuals control and solve their depression? No. We don't choose who are biological parents are and children cannot control the conditions they live in. Medication is not a cure all- it masks the issues if used for a long term. I agree that the book was way too short for the topic it tried to cover. Your review was great though, good job.
I fully agree with you that this book is too superficial for severe cases of depression. It is more like a guide to detect the beginning of a depression and act accordingly. Thanks for your comment.
Arpita Choudhari
Currently Reading: 11 Before 12
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Arpita Choudhari »

I would surely like to read this book. It's common amongst every one to get depressed but dealing with it is hard that's why this book should surely read by everyone and make a difference between everyone
Arpita Choudhari
Currently Reading: 11 Before 12
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Arpita Choudhari »

I would surely like to read this book. It's common amongst every one to get depressed but dealing with it is hard that's why this book should surely read by everyone to make a difference :)
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

Living with depression can be a daunting problem. I'm glad the author gave some helpful hints on how to deal with it. I agree that this book should be expanded to cover the issues that aren't dealt with properly here. The editing problem needs to be fixed as well. Thanks for your informative and well-written review!
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Depression is a serious issue. It's a shame this book has errors especially since you said the tips are useful. Guess with a round of editing it should be fine. Thank you for the review.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Alheotuci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alheotuci.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by Alheotuci »

A lot of people suffer from depression around the world. What makes it disheartening is that people find it hard to talk to anyone, or seek professional help. It is actually a bit of relief that people can learn from this, and be able to navigate their way. Unfortunately, it doesn’t contain enough information as much as I would’ve loved.
All in all, great review!
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

I think it is great to have resources like this, but it is too bad that the book was not longer and did not more comprehensively cover the topic.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

I appreciate this review, however , I think this is a hard topic to write about for sure. Depression is different for everyone and we all deal with it differently. This is an interesting book to pick up in my opinion. Thanks for your honesty
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

I appreciate that the author made a book on depression, as there are still many people who do not believe mental illnesses exist. However, like you, I do wish that the author took the time to gather and include more information as depression is a complex topic. Thank you for your insightful review!
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

It's sad that superfluous information are provided to such an appealing topic. Thanks for a great review!
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Depression can be debilitating, and, as you stated, it is important to know when what you are experiencing is more than just a bad day. It is great that the author has given some useful information, but I totally agree with your suggestions for inclusion and improvement. Thank you for you thorough and honest review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”