Official Review: Deep Walking for Body, Mind and Soul

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Official Review: Deep Walking for Body, Mind and Soul

Post by Yvonne Monique »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Deep Walking for Body, Mind and Soul" by Reino Gevers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Deep Walking for Body, Mind and Soul by Reino Gevers is a book that can be read two ways. You can read this book whilst preparing for a long walk or pilgrimage, such as the Camino de Santiago, or you can read this book as a spiritual guide in which you will find all the necessary tools to start a complete transformation of your body, mind, and soul. Reino Gevers, a South African journalist who now lives on the island of Mallorca, Spain, wrote this book based on his experience of walking the Camino de Santiago multiple times. The Camino de Santiago consists of several ancient pilgrimage routes that all come together in the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela in Galicia, Spain, where the remains of Saint James are buried.

The author expertly describes the emotions that walking the Camino evokes. He then uses these emotions to write meaningful chapters, such as: “Magic of the Moment,” “Persistence,” “Embrace Your Self,” or “Faith Over Fear.” Each of the 30 chapters teaches the reader some wise life lessons that can be used in everyday life. Apart from these lessons, the book contains many descriptions of the Camino itself, including the different routes one can walk, significant landmarks, and the types of accommodation one can find on the way. Furthermore, the author provides a list of essentials that one should pack. The book is a marvelous combination of a travel book, a self-help guide, and a spiritual healing program.

Living on Mallorca myself and having the Camino the Santiago on my bucket list, I was delighted that this review opportunity showed up. The book did not disappoint me. I enjoyed the author’s writing style and his ability to transmit his message. He makes concepts, like meditation and raised consciousness, sound easy and achievable. One of the topics that I can relate to most is the importance of being alone once in a while. The author says on page 52: “Alone time, time for solitude and self-reflection, is crucial to getting to know yourself and your feelings.” Furthermore, I appreciate the research that the author must have done to write this book. He refers to many scientific studies and mentions quotes from different sacred scriptures.

There is nothing I disliked about this book. I would only have preferred to see more pictures of the beautiful Galician landscapes. My .PDF review copy included some black-and-white pictures, but I suppose that the real book has color pictures. The book has a few minor spelling errors that did not affect my reading experience at all.

I am pleased to give this book the maximum rating of 4 out of 4 stars. This book is a gem that should be read several times to fully absorb its contents. This is not just a book about walking; it is a cleansing of the soul, a guide to happiness. I recommend this book to people who are planning a pilgrimage, especially the Camino de Santiago. Do not start your journey before reading this book. I do not recommend this book to people who are not interested in spiritual enrichment.

Deep Walking for Body, Mind and Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Reading about the book gives me a feeling of happiness. I will add it to my want to read shelf. Thank you for a clear review!
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I’ve heard about this experience and I have a feeling reading this book would make me take the leap. It sounds truly beautiful. Thanks for the great review!
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

I can see myself benefitting from this book. It sounds like it can help readers calm themselves and let go of their troubles for a while. Thank you for the lovely review!
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

This seems like a very intriguing and helpful book. I would enjoy learning about the Camino de Santiago and the spiritual guide connected to it. Thank you for the well-written and insightful review!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

This is an experience I would love to do some day, too. Maybe we'll meet there :). Your inspiring review made me think about doing something just for me. Thank you so much for your recommendation!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

It is helpful to know that people who cannot walk the Camino can still enjoy and learn from this book. I enjoyed your clear points and the focus on the spiritual benefits the author discusses. Thanks for your informative review!
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

This read sounds informative in many ways. Your enthusiasm is contagious; I hope you have a wonderful time walking the Camino de Santiago someday. Thank you for a marvelous review.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I immediately looked up the route as I was curious. A 35-day hike. Wow. I would love to do something like that one day. Thank you for the review :)
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a wonderful book to read before taking a pilgrimage, especially the Camino de Santiago. The spirituality aspects appeal to me, although I am not interested in a long pilgrimage at my age. Thank you for an intriguing review!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like the fact that the book also talks about the importance of being alone from time to time. In these times, I think that is an imperative.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

A book thag succinctly describes one's walking experience is definitely unique. Great review written here.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”