Official Review: How to Write Rules that People Want to F...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Official Review: How to Write Rules that People Want to F...

Post by LinaMueller »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "How to Write Rules that People Want to Follow" by Lewis S Eisen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How to Write Rules that People Want to Follow by Lewis S Eisen is a fantastic book about business and leadership. Since I am a voracious reader of this type of literature, I've already read dozens of masterpieces that include The Intelligent Investor, How to Win Friends & Influence People, Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, and many others. These books are brilliant, but they focus on a different subcategory. The book written by Lewis is unique because it focuses on how a modern company should communicate with its employees.

What Lewis calls "command-and-control management style" is no longer a viable option. It was for this reason that he decided to write this book, and the chapters of that work deal with the most diverse themes such as the costs of bad rules, policy statements, codes of conduct, and many others. There is no question that the author is passionate about building high-performing teams, and his passion shines through in his work.

Lewis nailed it when he said that many companies love to sell the idea that they are modern, inclusive, politically correct, eco-friendly, and employee-oriented. Still, the whole lie collapses when an employee comes across organizational rules that sound aggressive, bossy, and confrontational like this one: "Loud conversation is not tolerated." The problem is not even the order itself but the aggressive intonation. The idea that the company should be speaking in a friendly way was what I liked most about the book: the author perfectly demonstrated that modern organizations must convince employees to follow the rules and not simply order what should or should not be done.

I found nothing that could be criticized in the book. This is the third edition of this work, and if there were any grammatical errors in the previous editions, now they no longer exist. I would like to comment on something that the author mentioned at the end of the book. Lewis said he believes this work will someday become obsolete. He is probably trying to say that companies will increasingly adopt a modern management approach that the form of communication advocated in the text will become common. I don't think it will happen. There may be a trend in more developed countries for the number of companies to adopt the measures advocated in the book, but this will never happen in all companies. In some regions of the globe, this change is unlikely to even occur to the same degree. Despite this comment, I must make it clear that this is just a divergence of opinion. Only time will tell who is right.

Because of the dozens of qualities mentioned above, I gladly rate How to Write Rules that People Want to Follow four out of four stars. Few are the books that manage to convey a message so intelligently and without showing any flaw. I found no grammatical errors and no reason to deduct one star from the final score. I recommend this book to senior executives, entrepreneurs, and human resources personnel who want to understand the most efficient way to communicate with their work team.

How to Write Rules that People Want to Follow
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

The direction work environment is going, the message in this book becomes uniquely pressing. I like that the author points out the need for a new style of management. Thank you for your wonderful review!
MarveeAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marveeaman.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by MarveeAman »

I also believe that the modern management should follow a different approach to how an organisation can interact with its workers. This book sounds useful in many ways. Thanks for a great review!
shaove24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaove24.html
Latest Review: Void by Tayma Tameem
Reading Device: B07WQ1VH72

Post by shaove24 »

Modern management is now a very major topic especially with the way companies and business had to shift gears due to the pandemic. I don't believe works like this will ever become obsolete because there are new business being opened every day, and most will feel inclined to research what worked in the past and how it can be improved for the now. Working with entrepreneurs and small business, I glad to know that there is a book out there that someone may find helpful in regards to knowing how to communicate with their employees and in turn learning what the best practices may be to have a successful and motivated team. Thank you for your review.
Latest Review: Void by Tayma Tameem
Marc Mvessa
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Marc Mvessa »

The companies which were based on a system imposed by lack of idea really remained alive today thanks to their names or had all the financial resources that were necessary but lacked astus of management methods. Thanks to this book we can remember that money is not all it takes to manage your business well, you also need the quality of the relations with the staff the understandable and other elements that the company always have. tend to take lightly
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

This sounds like a needed tool for most work places. Everything is changing, including the culture that employees want, and managers need to keep up with it. Great review!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think the book provides a new way to approach the eternal challenge of improving business.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”