Official Review: Never Take Your Life by Shirley Ann Rich

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: Never Take Your Life by Shirley Ann Rich

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Never Take Your Life" by Shirley Ann Rich.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What causes suicide? Do you know that the average number of deaths from suicide in America was 136 per day in 2020? How can we change this ugly narrative? Perhaps this last question is the most important. Hence, I am happy to introduce Never Take Your Life by Shirley Ann Rich to you.

Shirley Ann Rich has been affected by suicide. In fact, she also considered taking her life. She recounts how one of her daughters committed suicide. And as if that wasn't enough, her ex-husband also shot himself dead. In this book, the author identifies the causes of suicide and provides insights into how best to address them. She also uses her experience to teach readers how they can prevent suicide. The author presents lessons on nutrition, finance, depression, and other topics that would help change the reader's mindset and outlook on life.

This self-help book is rich in practical tips and advice to reduce suicide rates in our society. What I like most about the book is the amount of beneficial and relevant information in it. The author's story is also relatable and touching. So I think readers who are not suicidal can still enjoy the author's lessons on the various topics in the book. I benefited from her insights into nutrition and how we can supplement the essential vitamins and minerals we need to function optimally.

Dear readers, depression is not a joke! And the same goes for mental illness. Therefore, I like how the author promotes the need to seek professional health for these issues. More so, I must commend the author for providing the methods and steps to take advantage of government financial assistance programs. It's not hard to understand that financial difficulties are also to blame for some of the suicide cases today, so kudos to the author for that.

Nevertheless, reading this book wasn't entirely a rosy experience. I found more than ten errors in the book, which points to mediocre proofreading. Also, the organization of the discussions in the book leaves a lot to be desired. In one instance, the author incongruously switched from her discussions about gender roles to tight brassieres and how they cause breast cancer. I felt that her thoughts were scattered and sometimes strayed off from the topic discussed. More so, the author informs readers of the many repetitions in the book. Notwithstanding, that doesn't make them less annoying, considering they were too much. I also wished that the author provided references for readers to ascertain some of the information in the book.

In conclusion, I am rating Never Take Your Life three out of four stars. The issues I noted above are responsible for the star it lost. However, it's safe to say that these issues don't touch the book's immense value but only detract from the reading experience. Therefore, it doesn't deserve a lower rating. I recommend the book to lovers of self-help books, especially those who battle with depression or know someone who is suicidal.

Never Take Your Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

This is such a heart-breaking topic. Life is a miraculous gift, but still so many fall into the depth of depression and too many end their lives. I hope this book will be able to help numerous people, but I have my doubts. Will those who are already deep in depression actually pick up a book and read it? Anyway, other than the editing issues you mentioned, this sounds like a book worth reading. Thanks for your insightful review!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

This sounds like a very important resource! Depression and suicide are necessary topics to be addressed and treated. It is too bad that the book contains errors. I hope it is revised and people get to use and benefit from this book.
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarnaaman.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

However, it's safe to say that these issues don't touch the book's immense value but only detract from the reading experience. Therefore, it doesn't deserve a lower rating. I recommend the book to lovers of self-help books, especially those who battle with depression or know someone who is suicidal.

Never Take Your Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
[/quote]

I agree with you, the topic covered by the book is of immense value. Although, eliminating the errors would make it more readable. great review!!!
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.
By Rob White
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I’m glad the advice in it was practice and the author points towards the need for professional help. It’s such a hard topic to address because the causes behind suicide are so vastly different. I hope she can fix the errors you’ve pointed out. Thanks for the great review
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like the fact that the author transferred her bitter experience to paper, for the greater good. It takes courage to do something like that. I always respect that.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

The statistic of 136 suicides a day in 2020 is staggering! Kudos to the author for sharing this valuable information. Hopefully it will help in reducing this number going forward. Thank you for a great review.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your interesting review. This book sounds quite useful, especially when more and more people fall victim to depression nowadays, causing them to seek salvation by ending their own life. With the pandemic roams about the world, we will need some help to strengthen our mental health.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Wow! The author is Discussing the most important topic right there. To think that there are still people out there who are ignorant about mental illnesses, and they take depression as a joke or fallacy, I hope this book will teach them gently and sway them. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Nasray22
Currently Reading: Raptor Canyon
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by Nasray22 »

This is an inspirational book for suicidal people and it came at the right time. I'm so sure a lot of people face depression everyday and think of taking their lives. I am positive that such people will definitely benefit. Wonderful review!
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

A book that seeks to solve the prevalent problem of suicide in the world is very helpful in such a time when people are going through different horrendous situations. Great review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”