Review of 1 Night In The Door

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Official Review: 1 Night In The Door by Matthew McCourt

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[i][Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "1 Night In The Door" by Matthew McCourt.][/i]

[rwc=id500291-125]3 out of 4 stars.[/rwc]How would you explain to a friend that your partner accidentally sprayed CS gas, causing chaos, and ended up receiving extra pay for ‘saving’ the day? Better still, I bet not many have heard about a fierce war that was abruptly ended by a sleeping person. Where did the much-needed sound of peace come from? Well, if you want to obtain answers to these questions and many more, grab a copy of this fascinating book. It may end up offering essential laughter therapy, free of charge, and at the comfort of your home.

[i]One Night On The Door[/i] was authored by Matthew McCourt. It is a compilation of forty-nine humorous stories from twenty-two years working as a doorman. It is about the normal and the weird, the expected and the unexpected, and, most importantly, the calm and the bumpy. While the stories involve diverse people, one irrefutable thing is they will leave every reader guffawing.

All the stories were captivating. One of the things I liked most about them was that they were simple, remarkable, and memorable encounters. There was no telling how a particular night would be. In fact, the sole thing the reader can predict is that the stories are connected with working the door. Apart from this, you only have to accept the surprises on the road. It almost feels like the writer is a master at creating twists and turns in a fictional story. However, every story was factual and convincing. It offered a valuable but little-known fact about other doormen. For instance, instead of bullying and violence, there were food and snowball fights.

There are many laudable aspects in the book. I was hooked from the first to the concluding page. It was hard to identify a favorite story. No sooner had I selected one than the succeeding one would be more captivating. In the fullness of time, the list had grown so long that I had come to terms with the fact that each one of them was equally fascinating. The only negative aspect was the overwhelming number of swear words. I guess this is more of a dislike than a negative. I discovered a few grammatical errors, which did not detract from my enthralling reading experience. In addition, the title of the book is [i]One Night On The Door[/i]. It seems an error was made when saving it on the bookshelves.

Owing to the grammatical errors, I rate this book [b]three out of four stars[/b]. It contains many cuss words and sexual innuendoes and, for this reason, is not suitable for anyone averse to them. The book is appropriate for all ardent fans of memoirs, particularly unique, entertaining stories that accompany working the door. It is a delightful book to pore over.

[i]1 Night In The Door [/i]
View: [url=http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelves/book.php?id=500291]on Bookshelves[/url] | [amazon=B08MQY4LGV]on Amazon[/amazon]
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I don't know much about the doorman. What are these stories all about? Looks like I'm going to love one of these stories written in this book. I look forward to reading this book.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Lennox Kuyokwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lennox Kuyokwa »

"One night in the door", i think i will this book out curiosity , i would love to read it , the old adage says; "the taste of the pudding id in the mouth ".
Shedrack A
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shedrack-a.html
Latest Review: The Kurrus Khronicles by J. S. Lowman

Post by Shedrack A »

One Night On The Door was authored by Matthew McCourt. It is a compilation of forty-nine humorous stories from twenty-two years working as a doorman. That's interesting!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”