Official Review: People in glass houses

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Paige Alvarado
Currently Reading: Night Chills
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paige-alvarado.html
Latest Review: The Beginning of the End - It Starts by John K. Williamson

Official Review: People in glass houses

Post by Paige Alvarado »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "People in glass houses" by Tim mcgee pen name timothy butler real name.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever wanted to see the world through the lens of a mentally ill person? Timothy McGee provides this unique experience with his book, People in Glass Houses, where he describes the story of how he went from his early moments of psychosis to his diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia.

This book was written as if it came straight from the author's mouth. Every chapter was like a rant, complete with run-on sentences. It truly felt like I was listening to McGee ramble about the struggles he has faced because of the way his mind works.

Apart from the absolutely fascinating writing style, my favorite part of People in Glass Houses was when Tim was conspiring to join the Philadelphia Eagles football team. His father's lawyer knew someone involved with the team so Tim thought he had an in with the lawyer. He decided to blackmail this man so he would have no choice but to get him a tryout to be on the team. I found it to be so interesting how his thought process worked in this whole ordeal, and I could only imagine hearing the same story from the perspective of the lawyer or his parents.

The book is divided into two parts. Part one is McGee's story of tragedy, struggle, clarity, and balance. Part two is a compilation of poetry. McGee explicitly states that his feelings change every day so none of the poems should be taken too seriously. I liked part 1 much more than part 2 of the book. While some of the poems were thought-provoking and well done definitely I preferred the narrative.

My least favorite thing about the book was the lack of professional editing. As I previously stated, there are a lot of run-on sentences and very little punctuation. I found many grammatical and typographical errors throughout the text and it took a while to get used to.

I think anyone interested in psychology would enjoy people in glass houses. There was mention of sexual desire but there was no eroticism. There were some profanities and disturbing behaviors in Tim's story, so I wouldn't recommend it to sensitive readers. In fact, until McGee has a chance to have the book edited professionally, I would not recommend it to anyone. Based on the lack of editing as well as my personal opinion of the book I am giving People in Glass Houses two out of four stars.

People in glass houses
View: on Bookshelves
Kanchan Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Kanchan Sharma »

A clear and candid review. I would love to check it myself.
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

A book that sees life from the perspective of a mentally ill person must be an interesting read. I'd love to know what it's about. Great review.
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Post by Peace Odii »

Seeing the world from a mentally ill person? I've not thought of it.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

It's a unique story. And it also helps understand what goes in the authors mind. Thank you for a great review!
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

This sounds truly fascinating. I understand the need for some grammatical editing, but as you say it sounds like it’s straight from the authors mouth as if you’re inside his head. Thanks for the great review!
Shrashti_04
Favorite Book: Finding James
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by Shrashti_04 »

As in review, it was mentioned that psychology interested person will enjoy this book so I am looking forward.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

It sounds like the writing style was difficult to read, but it would also be interesting to read the author’s thoughts in the way his mind works.
Thank you for your honest and thorough review. :balloon:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
John Karanja 1
Favorite Book: The Cadence of Excellence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-karanja-1.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by John Karanja 1 »

Choices made by people with mental health issues, should be overlooked and proper assistance given to them.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”