Official Review: The missing baluster by Patrice saiman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: The missing baluster by Patrice saiman

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The missing baluster" by Patrice saiman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Missing Baluster by Patrice Saiman is an exciting and captivating memoir that follows the author's life from childhood to adulthood. Patrice shares the story of how his mother had met his father following a recommendation that he could help her get a divorce from her first husband. Patrice's father, Raoul Saiman, was a lawyer and a war hero. After the war, Raoul, having lost his wife in the war, became promiscuous and brought different young women home. So when he met the author's mother, a much younger woman compared to him, their romance resulted in her being pregnant with Patrice.

The author was just five when his father died, and his mother seemed not to want him and his step-sister around. It didn't take long for her to find another man, and she was never emotionally available for her kids. After his father's death, Patrice went on to face different obstacles in his journey to adulthood. From becoming an actor in Lebanon, washing dishes in a restaurant in Bristol, and being a non-matriculated student at Bristol University, the author's story is sure to thrill and inspire readers.

This book can pass for a historical fiction title due to the intriguing and quality narrations in it. It's been a while since I reported that I couldn't put a book down. Well, it was the case with this one, and I mean it. I almost forgot that I was reading a memoir and that the events in the book actually happened. The author's writing style is charming. Though the progression of events isn't linear, it is still easy to follow and understand the story. And I like how the author informs the reader before each switch in the timeline of events. Good job, Patrice!

My favorite aspect of this book is the incorporation of some history lessons in it. I enjoyed how the author used the dates of some notable events in history to refer to when something happened in his life. For example, the author wrote that the day of his step-sister's boyfriend's trial was the same day that Sir Winston Churchill retired as an MP. It made the book both exciting and educational. More so, readers would learn something about how people lived their lives after World War II and the challenges they faced during that time.

Another aspect of this book that I enjoyed was the author's sense of humor. I smiled, chuckled, and laughed out loud at some of his narrations. It's admirable that even in the face of a dire situation, the author still managed to crack jokes. For instance, due to a health issue, the author was rushed to the hospital, and when the doctor asked him if he knew where he was, the author answered that he must be in a brothel in Mayfair. So hilarious!

Furthermore, I like how the author's story comes with a message of hope and life lessons. His story will inspire readers to always hope for the best despite the circumstances they find themselves in. Also, parents will learn a thing or two about the need for them to be emotionally available for their children. And there's a strong message of seeking professional help for mental health issues, which I make sure to highlight anytime I come across it.

I think it's pretty clear by now that I had a good time reading this book. I didn't dislike anything about it. I was surprised not to find a single error in the book. It is exceptionally edited, fun to read, inspirational, and educational. Therefore, the book certainly deserves a perfect rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I highly recommend it to readers who enjoy thrilling memoirs about people that became successful against all odds. A fascinating reading experience awaits you if you decide to grab a copy of The Missing Baluster.

The missing baluster
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Pluma »

The author’s story sounds touching and interesting, and I am curious to find out more about his journey. I like how the author managed to keep the story exciting and absorbing, too. Thanks for the great review!
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: My Spouse, my friend by Ingiete Oyama

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

"Patrice shares the story of how his mother had met his father following a recommendation that he could help her get a divorce from her first husband." This line alone is giving me entanglement vibes :lol: :lol: can't wait to read the book. Outstanding review Saint Bruno!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Great review! I haven't read many historical fiction books, so I'm not sure if I would pick this book up. Although, I do like books that contain historical lessons. It's always good to learn something new.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

That's "How My Mother met my Father" version. The coinciding dates will be truly informative to read about. It's a talent to make one laugh in adverse situation. Thank you for a wonderful review!
Sakura5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakura5.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sakura5 »

I like the mix between historical facts and stories related to the author's life. Thank you for the insightful review!
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

I think it's really good when the author can convey humour well in their book. Many fail to do so smoothly. Great review!
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I absolutely love when a book is too good to put down and I’m glad it was this way with you. It’s interesting how Patrice relates events in his life to historical moments. I’m very intrigued to read more. Thanks for the great review

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”