Official Review: Blind Pony by Samantha Hart

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3047
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Duck Blinds I Have Known by Donny McElvoy

Official Review: Blind Pony by Samantha Hart

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Blind Pony" by Samantha Hart.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A series of events leads Samantha, her mother, and four sisters to move in with their grandparents. Unfortunately, her grandfather, a pedophile, molests her. When her mother walks in only to find her daughter being raped and does nothing, Samantha runs away from home. She is forced to lead an adult life, working and making tough decisions at an age when most children are under the protective watch of their parents. After faking to be Angie, she decides being someone else was easier than coming to terms with her authentic self. There would be several masks to be worn over time. Additionally, she devised ways to survive on the streets. How far can one attempt to run away from one’s own shadow?

Blind Pony: As True A Story As I Can Tell is a memoir authored by Samantha Hart and published in 2021. It comprises 28 chapters in 342 pages. The decision to pen down her account resulted after stumbling upon a journal entry she wrote when she was twelve. It is her story. Living like a sheep among wolves was overwhelmingly daunting. Unfortunately, some wolves were chameleons, as they came dressed in sheepskin and had mastered the art of behaving like sheep. She had to devise survival tactics. For example, she would masterfully steer the conversation away to other topics when it threatened to reveal personal information. It appears lessons from Wild Bill, her father, and some events from her childhood had been preparing her for these hardships. One follows Samantha from Pennsylvania to Phoenix, Los Angeles, and eventually England and other countries.

Every aspect of the book was likable. The narration was excellent, and the author captured my attention from the first page. Whether it was in her childhood, adolescent years, or as a young adult, the perspective perfectly fit every stage. Like any child, Samantha hoped that her mother would defend her when she discovered what was happening. I comprehended the dilemma she faced when confronted with a desire to tell her grandmother about this harrowing abuse. The vivid description of such heartfelt longings led me to feel a glimpse of the resulting impact as all these walls came crumbling down.

I sincerely admired the author’s firm resolve to regain and maintain her independence and selflessness in helping and protecting others. Whereas the story was perturbing right from its genesis, the fact that the author triumphed and shared her story was exhilarating. There were moments when I wished the events did not happen, but similar to attempting to get rid of unpleasant memories, it was impossible. It was a glaring reminder that things may not always be as we want them to be. Every so often, accepting this reality and moving on becomes the only way out. As a result, this was more than just another story. It is hope amidst despair. It is a light shining in the dark.

I rate the book four out of four stars. I encountered a few grammatical errors, which did not detract from the enjoyment of this remarkable memoir. The book is equally exceptional as it is moving. I heartily recommend it to all ardent readers of memoirs. Because of the inclusion of child abuse, rape, and swearwords, it is unsuitable for anyone disinclined to these issues.

Blind Pony
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

The memoir shares the story of the Author's life. It's really brave of her. Samantha's disappointment when her mother didn't do anything to save her is visible and I can't help wonder why she did nothing? You've written a fluid and engaging review. Thank you!
George Zikeh
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by George Zikeh »

Samantha's was a brave and strong person. Being abuse, rape, and by her grandfather and her mother said nothing about it, it's unbelievable.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

It took a lot of courage to scratch the painful past and offer it to the readers. Thanks for the good review.
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

It's sad Samantha had to go through all of those horrible situations. I feel really sorry for her. I'd love to know what became of her at the end of the day. Great review.
Jyoti_S

Post by Jyoti_S »

It took so much courage to share truth in front of world. Samantha was sooo brave can't explain in word.🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏
Assumani David
Currently Reading:

Post by Assumani David »

I just want to encourage Samantha to be wise and brave ... your story touches my life
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Oh wow. Samantha is so brave. Thank you for sharing such an honest review.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

Once I realized it was a memoir, it went from a sad book to truly disturbing and heartbreaking for Samantha. It sounds like it’s well-written and I’d be very interested to know how she pushed through these experiences. Thanks for the insightful review
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Such tragic circumstances for a child—or anyone—to endure. I applaud the author’s courage to move forward and also to share her experiences so honestly. Thank you for your thoughtful review. :balloon:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

It is so unimaginable that her own mother would walk in on the event and do absolutely nothing. I cannot understand people like that. Thank you for the engaging review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”