Official Review: Life, Liberty and Injustice

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Living in a Two-Faced Jungle by Michael A Powell

Official Review: Life, Liberty and Injustice

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Life, Liberty and Injustice" by Khadijah Tiya Muhammad.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Life, Liberty and Injustice is a non-fiction book written by Khadijah Tiya Muhammad. The book includes a personal story about her involvement in a case of bullying, followed by statistics and information about injustices present in society.

The author states everyone has a right to education and a safe environment in our schools, churches, communities and workplaces. Unfortunately, in a world of freedom and liberties, there are always injustices to some. The first half of the book tells the story of Bobby A. Smith, a bi-racial young man. When he was fifteen years old, his mother moved them from inner-city Detroit to West Virginia. In 1992, the streets of Detroit were rife with crime. Drug use, gun use, domestic violence and robbery were increasing, and Bobby’s mother desired a safer learning environment for her son. West Virginia seemed an ideal place to move with its countryside, wildlife, and communities of hard-working families.

The author became the president of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. One evening she had a visit from Sharon White, Bobby’s mother. Bobby was attending a predominantly white school and was being subjected to bullying and harassment by fellow students. Both the author and the family began a difficult journey to stop this malicious and damaging behaviour and spread the word to the nation that we cannot tolerate this type of prejudice and hatred.

The book contains interesting facts and statistics about cases of bullying and harassment. For example, 77% of school students experience verbal, mental, and physical bullying. The author does a superb job of highlighting what a big issue this is. She also discusses the effects this has on mental health and tells us that 18.2% of the American population suffers from mental illness. The book shares some harrowing facts about how the world is full of hate due to cultural, sexual, religious, and race differences. The book conveys that we must bring communities together to fight such prejudices.

I found some aspects of the book very helpful for readers who may experience any problems with bullying and harassment. There is information on seeking help and what to do if you experience a hate crime. I enjoyed the bullet points explaining what a bully does and what to do if you experience bullying. Also, different types of abuse are defined, such as emotional abuse and cyberbullying. I found it very interesting that some of these terms were new to me, such as blog bullying.

Unfortunately, I found several grammar and spelling errors. I also found I didn’t quite understand some sentences in the book. There were also sudden changes where the author refers to herself from the first person point of view to the third person point of view, which I felt spoilt the flow. Also, there seemed to be a lack of structure in the information given in the book. Many subjects were a little disjointed in parts.

I enjoyed the messages in this book and the inspiring personal aspects, but I struggled with the structure and some unusual sentences. I also felt like the book lost its direction in certain parts. I don’t think the book has undergone professional editing, and I believe this would be helpful to iron out some of the issues. With all things considered, I rate the book 2 out of 4 stars. The book will appeal to adults and young adults who enjoy informative books regarding serious issues. It may also be suitable for those experiencing abuse in any form to help give them the advice to seek help.

Life, Liberty and Injustice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Durgeshwari Dolas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-durgeshwari-dolas.html
Latest Review: Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders by Brian E. Forschner

Post by Durgeshwari Dolas »

well its true we human tend to bully the weak and people different from them by color, state or religion, sexual orientation, gender. every other person has to face this bullying, trauma. thank you for your review, seems like this book need some editing, other than that it has great message in it.
“We don’t need a list of rights and wrongs, tables of dos and don’ts: We need books, time, and silence. Thou shalt not is soon forgotten, but Once upon a time lasts forever.” – Philip Pullman

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”