Official Review: At the Feet of Serenity by Eve Gwartney

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Official Review: At the Feet of Serenity by Eve Gwartney

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "At the Feet of Serenity" by Eve Gwartney.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

At the Feet of Serenity by Eve Gwartney tells the story and the personal interpretation of the experience of the Clayland family. It all started at the feet of Serenity, a statue placed in 1925 at Meridian Hill Park in Washington D.C. At Serenity's feet, Henry and Grace spoke words of affection and commitment and made plans. Grace and Henry were married and had five kids together. She died after she gave birth to the author.

The destruction Serenity faced over the years parallels all that the Claylands as a family encountered after Grace's death. There was an exciting connection between Serenity and the family. Grace's death took a heavy toll on Henry. Losing his wife and at the same time gaining the sole responsibility of raising his kids made him distraught to the point of psychological dysfunction. Everyone in the family, including the new wife Henry married, was affected in a particular way.

This book depicts how seemingly unimportant things help in significant ways to tell our story. The author used her father's photo taken in front of Serenity as a starting point for how it all began. Her father's journal-keeping habit helped a great deal. She learned about her mom through the letters her mom wrote and the pictures that her father kept.

In all truth, the book is a perfect tribute to the Claylands family. I have nothing but sympathy for Henry, who had to take care of five children all by himself, resisting all forms of assistance from everyone until it was apparent that he needed them. It wasn't easy on the kids either.

The author's inclusion of basic knowledge about the Mormon church is a big plus to the book. The sermon of the church at Grace's burial was spellbinding. It was full of lessons and wisdom, showing the church's stand about the after-life. It also talked about the history of the church and how they came to settle in Utah. I'm not a follower of the Mormon church, but it was intriguing to be drawn into their practices in an unforceful way. I'd do more profound research on the church, thanks to this book.

If you're looking for a better understanding of how a parent's choice affects their children, At the Feet of Serenity is an excellent go-to resource. Henry's lifestyle, including his religious beliefs, action, and inactions, shaped his family.

I was particularly drawn to the style and language used by the author to tell the story of the family's ordeals. She narrated her family's story with good history and realistic dialogue. Her description of Serenity's desecration over the years and the sad look on her eyes was top-notch. The pictures she shared provided an air of authenticity.

I'm rating this book four out of four stars. The editing is professional, as there's only one minor error in it. There's nothing I dislike about this book. I recommend this book to readers who enjoy memoirs and books about family history.

At the Feet of Serenity
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

I also sympathize with Henry who had to take care of 5 children all by himself. These kind of stories are always touching and inspirational. Thanks for the great review.
Nqo_1998
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nqo_1998 »

This book is the most perfect thing i ever read and is shows that love is the most important thing in our life and if someone close to you die you need to accept and move on and am glad that they was connection between Senerity and the family after Grace’s Death
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting memoir novel highlighting religion, death, grief, the occult, and the the personal interpretation of what happened to the Clayland family. The book is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has a well-written OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD.
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

This is a unique story about two young people who meet under the statue of serenity and get married. Their life and the fate of the statue are closely related. Congratulations BOTD!
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

The book is an excellent resource of the effect of parent's choice on their children.
The book is written fantastically and the character development is great.
The review beautifully summarizes the book.
Congratulations on Botd 🎉
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

"At the Feet of Serenity" by Eve Gwartney - The author writes about her family, father, mother, and three older brothers, and an older sister. Eve Gwartmey's mother died shortly after giving birth, but she was able to recreate the lives of the Clayburn family and the environment that shaped their lives from photos and her father's journal. The author has provided a perfect time capsule for the reader to appreciate. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

Although I am not particularly interested in family stories, the fact that the mum died after giving birth to the author struck me.
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 813
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

Eve, the author of this book, knew her mother only through old photographs, letters and diaries. The author has written an intriguing memoir with the help of these documents. The resulting story is an emotional and inspirational family history.
Thanks for this amazing review :tiphat:
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

Sounds like a heartbreaking and inspiring family story.
The father remained devoted to his deceased wife.
May single parents learn lessons from this book.
Thanks for the review and congratulations on the BOTD .
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

This sounds like a very emotional book. It definitely resembles the book I'm reading right now, so I think I will probably like it. Congrats!
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Bertha Jackson »

Old family pictures and letters are important to keep a family's history intact and known by future generations. Thank you for your review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

It is quite unique how the author has gone about this story, using Serenity’s statue as a significant point of reference for all that goes on in his family. I am interested in having a closer look at this book. Thanks!
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I like stories of love and families but I don't like the occult thing in the description, although it was not mentioned in your review. Thanks for your review.
Sanju Lali
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

An interesting story with personal interpretation of the experience of the Clayland family is nicely presented in the book "At the Feet of Serenity" by Eve Gwartney. The book focuses on the destruction of Serenity, which parallels all problems the Claylands as a family encountered. I think I should grab this one.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”