Official Review: Spartan CEO by Corrie Jonn Block, PhD, DBA

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Official Review: Spartan CEO by Corrie Jonn Block, PhD, DBA

Post by Okafor Prosper »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Spartan CEO" by Corrie Jonn Block, PhD, DBA.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you know that there is a correlation between physical fitness and being a successful leader in any organization? Have you heard about organizational fitness? I have not heard about any of these, and if you are just like me and wish to understand the most efficient methods of running a successful organization, then Corrie Jonn Block's Spartan CEO: Six Pillars of Executive Performance is a book you should strongly consider reading.

Spartan CEO presents a detailed guide that focuses on the six pillars of improving organizational performance from top to bottom with a lot of insight into mental, physical, and organizational fitness, developing confidence, discipline, and teamwork, and even understanding your body in new ways from lessons on mindfulness, brain waves, and the significance of oxytocin among other things.

Corrie Jonn Block's decades of experience as a business strategist is fully on display here, as he channels his personal stories in driving home his lessons through the six pillars, and he also infuses the humorous personality that made him easy to listen to and learn from. I was particularly intrigued by the term "Spartan CEO," which was inspired by King Leonidas, who ruled Sparta from 490 to 480 BCE, and his exemplary leadership that was depicted in the popular movie 300. If you have seen that movie, it is that mindset of determination and resilience, even against the worst of odds, that is central to the message here.

One key feature I appreciate about this book is how well researched it is. The author takes a lot of time to provide us with relevant references that support all of the scientific statements he included, and some of these statements may amaze readers. The author also showcased his strength in explaining his lessons in the simplest possible forms. A good example was when he discussed the significance of teamwork by illustrating how it is in our nature to work together to survive while highlighting how the earliest men undertook this task and how it has evolved over the centuries.

The information in the book is meant to be consumed over six weeks (a week per pillar), and there are a lot of physical exercises involved. Corrie Jonn Block recognizes that it will be tough and even shows how difficult it was for him at times, but his thorough lessons of exchanging motivation for discipline is one that I look forward to implementing to help me in this area. There is also a quick recap of each chapter at the end of the chapter with questions that further open the readers' minds to the lessons in the book, which further highlights the well-detailed nature of this guide.

I found two errors while reading, which suggests that the book was professionally edited. I also cannot think of anything to dislike about Spartan CEO. Therefore, I rate this guide four out of four stars. Leaders in different organizations will greatly benefit from this book. Readers who want to improve their physical and mental fitness will also enjoy Spartan CEO. The profanity included several times in the book means that it will only be suitable for a mature audience.

Spartan CEO
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kenna Ridzi
Currently Reading: Iron Gold
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenna-ridzi.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Kenna Ridzi »

The concepts and ideas discussed in the book sound very intriguing. I find it interesting that the book was meant to be split up for the reader to read over the course of six weeks, I've never seen that before. Thank you for your review!
Fahad Afroz
Currently Reading: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fahad-baibras.html
Latest Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos

Post by Fahad Afroz »

I thought the book would be soething aboyt a CEO who is a vigilanti and fights against injustice...lol
I might even read the book but as of right now imma let it pass
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I’m glad the author presented their personal experience of what works and doesn’t instead of straight theories. Thanks for the great review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”