Official Review: African American Adversities and Suggest...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Official Review: African American Adversities and Suggest...

Post by LinaMueller »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "African American Adversities and Suggested Solutions" by Leila Jaden.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

African American Adversities and Suggested Solutions by Leila Jaden is a non-fiction book that proposes solutions to a problem that has been tirelessly discussed in the USA: eliminating poverty and economic inequalities that mainly affect black Americans. Born and bred in Alabama, the author used to love the United States of America. That feeling, however, began to fade when she realized that changes in the United States were not taking place at the speed she wanted. So, she decided to make her contribution and write this book.

The book's chapters address the most varied topics, including suggestions for schools, foster care, mental health advocacy groups, suggestions for parents, criminal justice reform, private-public partnerships, universal health care, and so forth. There are few references to books by intellectuals who have already discussed these problems, but the author's life experiences make the proposed solutions very interesting.

The most striking aspects were the author's critical sense, intellectual curiosity, and quick thinking. She had grown up during the Jim Crow Laws when racism was accepted as natural and is much better able to understand the problems of African Americans than Democratic Party millionaires who live in a bubble surrounded by wealthy people and love to propose ineffective solutions to solve problems they've never experienced. In several pages of the book, Leila demonstrates an intellectual curiosity worthy of praise. Rather than considering the other side as enemies, she seeks to read sites linked to alt-right and Trump supporters. This is essential to seek lasting solutions. Again, the enlightened ones do not even consider debating ideas and believe that people who disagree with them are pitiful ignorant rednecks.

The book is excellent, but the poor editing is a significant drawback. I found more than ten grammatical errors, including missing words, misspelled names, incorrect punctuation, and many others. Furthermore, some sentences are repeated again and again. I mean, the same sentence is copied twice on different pages. It was clear that this was a mistake and not the way the author used to emphasize an idea.

Due to the problems mentioned in the paragraph above, I rate African American Adversities and Suggested Solutions three out of four stars. Don't get me wrong: the book is excellent and offers brilliant solutions. Unfortunately, there are many grammatical errors and unnecessary repetitions. It desperately needs another round of editing. I would recommend this work to everyone who wants to find solutions to the problems faced by African Americans. After a long time, it has become clear that politicians on both sides of the aisle are more interested in getting votes than actually solving problems.

African American Adversities and Suggested Solutions
View: on Bookshelves
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Very often we see problems but never come up with good solutions. And this book offers solution to a well known problems. That's brilliant and with another round of editing this can be very useful. Thank you for a informative review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”