Official Review: Transformation in Times of Crisis

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Official Review: Transformation in Times of Crisis

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Transformation in Times of Crisis" by Nitin Rakesh and Jerry Wind.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Transformation in Times of Crisis by Nitin Rakesh and Jerry Wind presents eight principles on turning crisis into opportunities for businesses to avoid becoming irrelevant during those crises.

The Covid-19 pandemic, George Floyd killing in the United States, and other recent crises in no small way destabilized the world. In few months, Covid-19, which started in China in late 2019 but emerged as a full-blown pandemic in March 2020, brought about significant changes to the way things were done across all business sectors. It brought about unparalleled disruptions in almost every aspect of millions of people's social and business lives on the planet. The authors believe that every crisis contains seeds of opportunity. Business owners are to seize the opportunity or risk being left behind.

This book is loaded with insightful quotes and provides realistic and practical advice that anyone can achieve. My favorite quote from the book is, "while having strategy is the first stop, implementing is the bigger deal." The authors provided a detailed step-by-step method on how to implement the strategy.

To make the book very relatable, the authors used stories of popular brands such as Tesla, Zoom, Walmart, Starbucks, Netflix, Toyota, etc. They shared how these brands seized the opportunity and created wealth for themselves despite the pandemic. The need to leverage credible networks was also emphasized.

This book is no doubt timely. The listing of questions at the end of each principle to assess how the reader and their organization are aligned with the principle, ideals, and examples discussed is simply outstanding. The authors provided detailed explanations of the eight principles and tools for putting them into practice at the end of each principle. This is a book for businesses that want to remain competitive and prepare themselves for future occurrences of any crisis.

Another big plus for the book is the use of graphics and conceptualized diagrams to explain the steps. This ensures that the reader can picture and understand what is required of them. The language and style of the authors are straightforward and can be understood by anyone. This will go a long way in ensuring that individuals and organizations implement the eight principles effectively.

In all honesty, the book was a fantastic read. Sadly, I was not too okay with the unnecessary spacing between letters of a word on some pages. Also, some quotes broke words apart. The distortions affected my reading flow. Though I would love to see these issues fixed, I wouldn't penalize the book for them. The editing was not bad; I could only pick out three minor errors from an over-500-page book.

I'm rating this book four out of four stars. It is very insightful and has minimal issues. I recommend this book to every business owner and anybody aspiring to open and manage any business someday.

Transformation in Times of Crisis
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mary Lou Mills
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: The Buffalo Soldier
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-lou-mills.html
Latest Review: Permaculture for the Absolute Beginner by Dawn Raynes
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 8%

Post by Mary Lou Mills »

This appears to be a good read for an opportunist. It makes me think of quilters turning their scrap material into face masks.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

This certainly sounds like a necessary tool during a time when so many businesses aren’t surviving or are barely scraping by. Thanks for the great review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”