Official Review: To love in vain by Pedro Merchant

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Lauren
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Currently Reading: The Dovekeepers
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-lauren.html
Latest Review: To love in vain by Pedro Merchant
fav_author_id: 2444

Official Review: To love in vain by Pedro Merchant

Post by Sam Lauren »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "To love in vain" by Pedro Merchant.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

To Love in Vain is about a kid who is born of murder and destined by it. Miracle survived a tragedy, but his life is another one. He sells drugs on the street. He deals with gang violence and unjust arrests. The redeeming part of his life is his girlfriend, Asia, a woman determined to love him no matter what.

It is clear from the writing that Pedro Merchant, the author, has creativity and passion. There were a lot of ideas thrown into this book. The sex scenes make up most of the book, but they have a good build-up and give a lot of insight into the characters. The downside is there are way too many side plots. Nothing got the page time it deserved because the book rushed from one scene to another.

The biggest problem I had with this book was that it jumped around a lot. The scene changed without warning, from one paragraph to the next. It had an overarching plot that got neglected except for random information dumps. Miracle learns about his parents early on in the book and wants vengeance. That is interesting, but it gets buried underneath a tale of his vices.

There are many characters, and they all have two names. It can be hard to keep them straight. The easiest people to remember were the ones with personality. Most were interchangeable and generic. Some, like Tiffany, had an attitude that made them stand out.

Miracle's shenanigans are fascinating, but the writing makes them seem like two separate plots. I'd love to read a version of this book where the excess is cut and the main characters are developed more. Miracle and Asia are so realistic. I saw their feelings and behavior in the people around me, especially in younger people and when I lived in the ghetto. I love that the author was able to capture that.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I chose this rating because the author has the potential for an amazing story, but this one is not there yet. It badly needs editing. It needs clarification. It requires a stronger plotline so that the reader has something grounding them amongst the chaos.

I recommend this book to adults who appreciate violence and sex. It is not super graphic because the author's descriptions are not detailed, but it does say what is going on.

To love in vain
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mercy119
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

Miracle sounds like a troubled youth thanks to his turbulent childhood. I'm glad that the author accurately portrayed the ghetto environment, but the book needs thorough editing to make it enjoyable.
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Post by Peace Odii »

The way you described the childhood of this kid was very impressive. Great work.
Durgeshwari Dolas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-durgeshwari-dolas.html
Latest Review: Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders by Brian E. Forschner

Post by Durgeshwari Dolas »

His childhood seems tragic. Very descriptive review. Thank you for your honest review!
“We don’t need a list of rights and wrongs, tables of dos and don’ts: We need books, time, and silence. Thou shalt not is soon forgotten, but Once upon a time lasts forever.” – Philip Pullman
Kathy Conforti
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kathy Conforti »

The first two lines in this review are difficult to understand. Please clarify how someone is “born of murder” and the meaning behind “. . . but his life is another one.” Another what?
The rest of the review is pretty clear. Thank you.
Kanchan Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Kanchan Sharma »

The review is interesting and intriguing. I am eager to read the book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”