Official Review: The Dead and the Bizarre are here and al...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kaitlin Licato
Currently Reading: Shakespeare's Guide to Parenting
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlin-licato.html
Latest Review: The Sylvan Horn by Robert Redinger

Official Review: The Dead and the Bizarre are here and al...

Post by Kaitlin Licato »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Dead and the Bizarre are here and all around us" by David Landry.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Dead and the Bizarre are here and all around us by David Landry is a book of various stories of supernatural occurrences. The first half is stories from the author's life. He has been plagued with supernatural events all his life, particularly in his childhood. The happenings followed him from place to place as well. The second half of the book includes stories submitted to the author from other individuals. Each one contains a mini-biography of the author before the story or stories.

Many of the stories were intriguing. Some genuinely frightening incidents occurred. The one with the man in the hat was scary, for example. Others were simply strange, like hearing voices through the vents even though no one was talking. Overall, the stories themselves were entertaining. I did enjoy the ones in the second half better than many in the first half, though.

I enjoyed the stories in the second half more due to the truly terrible writing from the primary author. The stories read as though they were written by a child, though the author is an adult. They also read as if they were written by someone who is not a native English speaker, filled with grammatical errors, particularly errors with phrasing and tenses. The tone was the most significant issue, though. The stories were told as though the author was chatting with friends. Many ended with phrases like "the next story is really frightening though, as you will see."

The structure was not good either. The author didn't build suspense correctly, so the stories lacked impact. Also, the order was all over the place. The author organized some stories chronologically while he organized others thematically. This led to many continuity errors. For example, in one story, the author mentions going to work and feeling drawn to a particular location. This was placed BEFORE the story discussing his job and the area mentioned. The reader is left extremely confused. There was also a section where the author summarized a topic by copying and pasting descriptions from youtube videos. He included the URLs for the videos, but it was borderline plagiarism. I was bewildered as to why the author couldn't simply describe the phenomenon himself without copying and pasting.

The second half of the book was much better than the first. There were still some grammatical and structural errors, but the stories had more suspense and impact. There was a strange outlier story about traumatic brain injuries, though. It had nothing to do with the supernatural. I'm not sure why it was included in this book.

If I were rating the second half of the book, I would probably rate this book more highly. Due to all the issues within the first half, I am giving The The Dead and the Bizarre are here and all around us by David Landry 2 out of 4 stars. The stories are good, but the structure and tone from the original author make them awkward to read. I recommend this to readers who enjoy supernatural and occult stories, but I recommend reading the second half before the first. I would not recommend it to those who are disturbed by tales of demons and hauntings.

The Dead and the Bizarre are here and all around us
View: on Bookshelves
Maliha Naveed
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Tales from the Grey Area
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maliha-naveed.html
Latest Review: Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid by Dr. Rachel Sims

Post by Maliha Naveed »

Though not a fan of horror stories, stories with personal touch might be endured.
Mercy Kimaiyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Mercy Kimaiyo »

The authors life has been surrounded with strange happenings, those happenings followed her to wherever he goes.Other haif contains stories submitted to the author from other individuals
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

It's a shame the writing was lacking: I was really captivated by the title. Thank you for the honest review!
Mayur Arjune
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayur-arjune.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Mayur Arjune »

The horror stories are heart melting. Some times they frightened us too. The death is the ultimate truth, let's read the book, and deal with it. Thanks for being real.
MoeBrown
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moebrown.html
Latest Review: Break up with him now by Lena Lubinka

Post by MoeBrown »

I personally love a good scare and even though I would like to read this, it have to be after the author has had the book professionally edited. Thanks for the review.
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

I am not keen on reading this genre. However, you did great in explicating every little detail of this masterpiece in just 5 paragraphs. Thanks for this awesome review!
Novela book
Favorite Book: Chameleons
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novela-book.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Novela book »

The book seems interesting with multiple stories. Horror stories are not my to thing but this looks so much fun.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

The author's life is an eventful one. I would be terrified! The sound of a rodent moving around gives me chills, how much more of supernatural occurrences? I will pass. Awesome review!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

This story sounds like a horror one and that makes it fascinating. However, I would like to appreciate the reviewer for the thorough and emphatic work done.
surajgupta
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by surajgupta »

The author's life is an eventful one. I would be terrified! The sound of a rodent moving around gives me chills, how much more of supernatural occurrences? I will pass. Awesome review! :emperor: :angry-devil: :angry-devil:
Eddy E
Currently Reading: In the Meantime
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddy-e.html
Latest Review: Sena's Black Ross by Linda k jones

Post by Eddy E »

I laughed through the second paragraph of the review. Thanks for the review, very informative. I do love myself spoke stories sometimes but the build of the suspense is very key.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”