Official Review: I AM my Sister's Keeper

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: I AM my Sister's Keeper

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I AM my Sister's Keeper" by Anderson Hopson Jr..]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It's natural for people to feel bad when things don't go their way. It's also human to assume that people didn't fulfill their destinies because their lives didn't turn out as everyone expected them to. I AM my Sister's Keeper by Anderson Hopson Jr. is a non-fiction book that seeks to help readers understand that there's a greater purpose within the circumstances they find themselves in.

Anderson Hopson Jr. recounts how his talent in basketball got him a scholarship into college. Everyone expected him to become an NBA star, and even his younger sister, Darlyn, dreamed of marrying a basketball player due to how much she admired him. After graduation from college, the author didn't get the expected break into the NBA, but he still went on to play professional basketball for three years in Belgium. However, the author never lived 'the dream' playing basketball as he expected. Unbeknownst to him, he had a purpose greater than his dream to become a basketball star, and it took him 47 years to find out what this purpose was. I wish you would pick the book and find out too. But before you do, let me give you reasons why this book is worth your time.

Firstly, I enjoyed the author's calm tone and use of a conversational writing style. They helped his teachings to sink in without even trying. His narrations are also captivating, so much so that you become eager to know what happens next in his life. I enjoyed how the author seemed to know that I had questions concerning some of his teachings because he provided satisfying answers as the book progressed.

What I like most about the book is the author's use of Bible verses to support his teachings. It was easy for me to understand and reconcile the author's lessons with what the Bible says about the topic discussed. I also enjoyed the quotes at the beginning of the chapters. I found them to be very inspiring, and they set the mood for the discussions to follow. The teachings in this book are eye-opening and reviving. And I must say that his message about living in the moment seemed to minister to me on a personal level. I also learned a lot from the book, like the difference between faith and wishful thinking. Another thing to appreciate in the book is that the author didn't try to hide his mistakes or assume the position of knowing everything. He speaks from the heart and hopes that you can learn from his story.

Furthermore, I liked how I understood the book's title at the end of the book. It was fascinating to know why the author didn't become an NBA star and his purpose ordained by God. More so, I appreciate the author's life lessons and the message about looking out for each other in our families and communities. I agree that God takes care of His own through people and that everything works for good towards fulfilling a divine purpose.

In conclusion, this book would have received a perfect rating from me if not for the myriads of errors in it. I found many grammatical and spacing issues, especially between hyphenated compound words. I didn't dislike any other thing about the book; therefore, I am rating it 3 out of 4 stars. Nevertheless, I still enjoyed and benefitted a lot from reading the book despite the errors. So, even as it is, I highly recommend the book to readers, especially Christians, who don't understand why they are going through some seemingly difficult situations despite their faith in God. Also, I believe that lovers of non-fiction stories about how God works through people will find this book fascinating.

I AM my Sister's Keeper
View: on Bookshelves
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

I find it hard to place the title with the story summary. It is intriguing and I would like to find out why the title. Some dreams which didn't come true is relatable and I do hope it's as good as you say it is.
Sakura5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakura5.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sakura5 »

Since most people struggle to find a "vocation" in life, I am curious to see how the author found his; I think this would be actually really inspiring for people. Nice review!
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: My Spouse, my friend by Ingiete Oyama

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Life has a funny sense of humor. It can serve you with the lemons and if you don't have the resources, you might not be able to make any lemonade. Despite the curveball thrown at us, we must soldier on and I'm glad the author did exactly that as well. Thanks for the review!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
angelap5467
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Favorite Book: Crime and Punishment
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelap5467.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by angelap5467 »

I appreciate that you didn't discover and let us in on every secret in the book because frankly, that is how you write a good review, you leave an impact and hint of hunger for the book. Excellent job.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

This is the first review I saw today, and I'm thankful for you.
When things don't go our way, I think it's best to look at them closely to see why.
I need books like this to help me chill out in life.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”