Official Review: WAKE UP!, 2nd. Edition (2020)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Official Review: WAKE UP!, 2nd. Edition (2020)

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "WAKE UP!, 2nd. Edition (2020)" by Andree Cuenod.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Our God is love, our race is human, and our religion is oneness."
Reverend Jim Rosemergy, quoted by Andree Cuenod.

Have you noticed our world is kind of a mess? Wake UP: our old beliefs don't work any more by Andree Cuenod is a philosophical dissertation that explains how our worldview came to be, why our current religious and scientific dogmatism is failing, and the shift that humanity needs. The book comprises six main parts: the first one explains the importance of assessing our current worldview, the second one dives into our predominant belief systems, the third one explains what long-lost spiritual wisdom systems believed, the fourth one tackles metaphysics, the fifth one states the author’s belief system, and the last one explains the shift that is already happening and what different roles people have in it. The author also included four very useful appendices that sum up or deep-dive into the previously mentioned topics.

There are many praiseworthy aspects of this book. The first commendable trait that stood out to me is that the author focuses not just on Christianity or on Western beliefs, but covers a vast array of cultures, religions, and belief systems. Second, her amount of knowledge is mind-blowing, and I can’t fathom the sheer volume of research needed to build this book. Third, it takes an honest, courageous, and open-minded person to question not only the culture she was raised in but even her new set of beliefs, while acknowledging that her position (as all of us) is biased. I think that being open to constant growth is a sign of greatness.

On the downside, this is not a light read. It’s long and full of straight-up abstract philosophical facts and observations, which makes the reading dull. This is not a book to read in one sitting, but one to digest slowly. Also, the author relies heavily on direct quotations, which makes the reading feel choppy at times. Furthermore, Cuenod states that the Catholic Church believes in creationism. In fact, Pope John Paul II admitted the validity of the theory of evolution and, from then on, the Church has not denied it (Tagliabue, John. “Pope Bolsters Church’s Support For Scientific View of Evolution.” New York Times, 25 Oct. 1996, www.nytimes.com/1996/10/25/world/pope-b ... ution.html.)

Finally, some moral issues stem from her beliefs which can make readers uncomfortable. My major concern is that Andree Cuenod asserts (to put it simply) that we choose our own suffering and that people who hurt us do so “with our knowledge and complicity, and for our benefit.” I don’t know if that’s true (I don’t claim to be enlightened), but I know this mentality won’t help victims that are trying to break free of the guilt cycle or even of an abusive situation, and it can end up being plain offensive, such as claiming that “Both victims and perpetrators of such as the Nazi Holocaust and all other genocide are such beings [Earth angels].”

Because of the dutiful research and the variety of cultures and beliefs the author assesses with precision, as well as for her constant willingness to question everything, I rate Wake UP: our old beliefs don’t work any more 3 out of 4 stars. Incorrect or insensitive data and an edition with over ten mistakes led me to subtract one star.

I would not recommend this book to fundamentalists of all religions or staunch atheists unless they’re willing to be challenged. Readers who don't have patience for long, abstract reflections will not like this book either. Wake UP: our old beliefs don’t work any more is an ideal read for people on a spiritual quest, open-minded seekers, readers who enjoy philosophy or comparative religions.

WAKE UP!, 2nd. Edition (2020)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

The book seems very interesting. Thanks for the good review.
Stephanie Runyon
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3 by Michael Richey
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

Wow, I don't think I really wanted people to hurt me. That is a far-fetched idea. I don't think holocaust survivors wanted to lose their family, starve, or be beaten to death. Im passing on this. Thank you for your honest review!
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html

Mounce574 wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 17:45 Wow, I don't think I really wanted people to hurt me. That is a far-fetched idea. I don't think holocaust survivors wanted to lose their family, starve, or be beaten to death. Im passing on this. Thank you for your honest review!
It's a horrible idea! I get that, sometimes, suffering helps us grow, but other than that is plain victim-blaming, in my opinion.
Thank you for your comment!

markodim721 wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 11:22 The book seems very interesting. Thanks for the good review.
Thanks for stopping by!
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

Based on your review, this book is not for me.
Books with heavy political, religious, or philosophical themes are very challenging for me to read.
BUT I know someone who might enjoy reading books like this.
Thank you for your recommendation.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:

Dzejn_Crvena wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 23:30 Based on your review, this book is not for me.
Books with heavy political, religious, or philosophical themes are very challenging for me to read.
BUT I know someone who might enjoy reading books like this.
Thank you for your recommendation.
I read many philosophical texts in college, but I guess I lost practice because I had a hard time with this one. I hope your friend enjoys it, though.
Thank you for your comment!
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Bertha Jackson »

Philosophical books are not for me. Thank you for your honest review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org

Bertha Jackson wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 19:24 Philosophical books are not for me. Thank you for your honest review.
Thanks for stopping by!
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

This sounds a bit too long and abstract for me, but I'm glad you were able to enjoy some parts of it. I appreciate the author's emphasis on different cultures/religions/beliefs and her dedication to questioning everything, though. Thanks for the review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
Manaliiiii___
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Manaliiiii___ »

By reading review it seems pretty interesting to read.
Surely going to read it soon. Thanks for this review.

maggi3 wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 20:26 This sounds a bit too long and abstract for me, but I'm glad you were able to enjoy some parts of it. I appreciate the author's emphasis on different cultures/religions/beliefs and her dedication to questioning everything, though. Thanks for the review!
It has some very enlightening ideas and commendable attitudes, like the diversity you mention, but it's long and, particularly, too dry for most readers.
Thank you very much for your comment!

Manaliiiii___ wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 00:33 By reading review it seems pretty interesting to read.
Surely going to read it soon. Thanks for this review.
Hope you enjoy it! :techie-studyingbrown: Thank you for your comment!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”