Official Review: Around New Zealand in 14 days

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Official Review: Around New Zealand in 14 days

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Around New Zealand in 14 days" by Herman Odijk and Pamela Odijk.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Traveling is one of the main things I have missed during the COVID-19 pandemic. I think the situation is similar for most people. I also believe the vast majority of readers have mostly read adventure books and travelogues during this pandemic. Around New Zealand in 14 Days by Herman Odijk and Pamela Odijk is one such book in which the authors describe their trip to New Zealand through a multitude of photographs.

The authors traveled around New Zealand on a cruise, which is also their favorite way of traveling. This book consists almost entirely of photographs. Therefore, the reader follows their New Zealand tour through various images. They visited Auckland, Tauranga, Mount Maunganui, Napier, Wellington, Christchurch, Akaroa, Dunedin, Port Chalmers, and Fiordland. The book contains photographs of various museums, parks, statues, street performers, cafes, charming restaurants, interesting buildings, unusual means of transport, beaches, harbors, marinas, and the beautiful nature of New Zealand. Next to each photo is a description of it; it is written what the photo shows and when and where it was taken. Some photos are accompanied by more detailed descriptions, especially if some interesting facts are related to them.

I have to say that I like the concept of the book the most. While reading this book, I had the feeling that I was also on a journey to New Zealand with Herman and Pamela. I especially like the photos of the sea at different times of the day. The sunsets at sea are particularly magical. If I had to choose my favorite location in New Zealand, it would be Fiordland National Park. It is rich in diverse flora and fauna and looks magical due to the snow-covered high rocks surrounding it and the numerous waterfalls. In addition, I really like Herman's and Pamela's argument for choosing cruisers for most of their travels. They emphasize the importance of enjoying every moment, especially while traveling. Had they traveled by plane, they would not have enjoyed the beautiful landscapes in the same way.

There is nothing in the book that I do not like. In addition, I did not encounter any grammatical errors. I would say that this book is an ideal read for this uncertain time during a pandemic when people cannot travel, especially to distant destinations.

Around New Zealand in 14 Days deserves a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I do not have a single complaint, so I have no reason to give it a lower rating. I would recommend it primarily to those eager to travel and to those planning to visit New Zealand.

Around New Zealand in 14 days
View: on Bookshelves
zoyaa_kazi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by zoyaa_kazi »

Okayy I really will want to read the book after seeing such a nice reply !

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”