Official Review: Musings: The Healing of Trauma and Resi...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Official Review: Musings: The Healing of Trauma and Resi...

Post by Verna Coy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Musings: The Healing of Trauma and Resilience of the Human Spirit" by Sharon Danner Reding.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Musings by Sharon Danner Reding is perfectly named, for this volume of poetry comes from the mind of someone who spent much time thinking and reflecting. It is apparent in the depth and beauty of this work. This award-winning author starts readers off with a poem that reflects the refined and wild beauty of the eagle, setting an immersive tone for the book.

Each poem is a unique creation based upon what the author was feeling and living at that moment. I was pleased to find lovely touches of gentle humor in this work. A good example is located in the name of the poem entitled "Ode to Kleenex." The stanzas also have an easy rhythm that is pleasing overall.

I loved how the author discusses how her journey through the difficulties and trials of her life made her a better person. Gaining strengths from the hardships we've gone through does make us who we are. I enjoyed this author's voice in the verses communicating her faith, understandings, and learning experiences.

Although some of this poetry is angry, I didn't feel that it was a negative aspect. The presentation of the dark moods against lighter ones shows the versatility of the human spirit. It illuminates how a person can come through dark places in life and triumph over adversity. The life lessons communicate the most powerful message in this work. Self-worth, self-reliance, and learning how to stand up and not allow others to subjugate someone else are some of the best takeaways of this book.

I enjoyed the escape that this author occasionally refers to in her poetry. Her poems frequently exude an escapist quality, and that aspect will connect with lovers of poetry and verse. The depth of feeling and confidence in this work encourages others to succeed and look beyond their faults, failings, or circumstances. That element elevates the book's purpose and indicates the author's individual characteristics of strength and empowerment.

This author uses different styles of poetry to write this work. I was fascinated by the many disciplines used in this collection. These works include modern-contemporary, sonnet, and even sestina. The author also uses forms of prayer and passages of scripture to reflect her personal journey without being preachy, so I feel it will appeal to religious and non-religious readers. These varied styles allow for different moods and frames of mind to expand throughout the book.

The book is edited exceptionally well. Fans of drama, prose, and poetry will love this work. Its encouragement is especially suited to readers who have been in abusive relationships. I also caution that the book contains some language and sexual references, so I recommend it to mature readers. For these reasons, I most happily rate this volume of poetry with 4 out of 4 stars.

Musings: The Healing of Trauma and Resilience of the Human Spirit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

There is a lot one can learn from this book. Thank you for such a wonderful review.:)
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I do not often read poetry, but I give consideration to books that sound exceptional.
I like the theme of this book, so I will give this a try.
Thank you for the review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”