Review of You Speak Good English for a Nigerian

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Review of You Speak Good English for a Nigerian

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "You Speak Good English for a Nigerian" by Oreoluwa Army.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

You are alone in a new country—jet-lagged, hungry, and almost homeless. Everything moves at a faster pace. You try asking for help, but everyone avoids eye contact. Who do you trust? Should you book a return flight home?

Oreoluwa Army, the author, dreamed of attending graduate school in the United States; however, Northeastern University is not cheap. After years of preparation, she swaps her family and friends for strangers as well as the blazing Nigerian sun for the cloudy freezing climate of New England. You Speak Good English for a Nigerian: A Memoir is the true story about Army’s uphill battle as an international student in America. The humorous title grabbed my attention, and I was not disappointed.

Part memoir and part advisory, this Christian narrative recounts the author's experiences—the good and the ugly—without holding back. The drama that follows Army as an immigrant kept me entertained until the end. For instance, her fight with Old Man Winter convinced me that she should transfer to a school in Florida; fortunately, someone advised her to take on a winter sport—it should help her endure the season. Her reaction had me laughing out loud.

In the chapter about her Yoruba wedding, the roles reverse when her American husband becomes an immigrant in a foreign land. This section is told from his perspective and is a clever addition. His description of Nigerian day-to-day life is priceless. Readers who enjoy African culture will be pleased.

Nevertheless, it isn't all fun and games. Army makes somber observations about social issues, such as immigration, racism, and stereotypes. From an immigrant lens, her ideas are sometimes two-pronged. Plus, she discloses her loneliness and fears; the tough times when she couldn’t make ends meet financially. These vulnerable moments are relatable to everyone—immigrants and non-immigrants; those were my favorite aspects of this book.

Through her struggles, Army stays connected to her faith. The story of how she searched for a church is interesting; the author has—what I can only coin as—a religious-cultural shock. In America, I am accustomed to religious diversity—it feels comfortable. However, it might be different for those coming from a homogenous society.

Another positive aspect is the messages; they are practical and cautionary. For example, the importance of having good friends and sticking to your principles. Army also keeps God and prayer in her heart without being preachy. For this reason, I think this book would be suitable for everyone—religious or not.

From the apartment shopping to the Nigerian yam markets, there is nothing I disliked. I am pleased to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This story is smart and entertaining; therefore, a lower rating is undeserving.

I highly recommend it to those seeking a story with a strong and confident black female. I can recommend it to college-bound females; Army's journey has lessons of hope and perseverance for everyone. I recommend it to those who enjoy stories about immigrant struggles. Readers trying to avoid religious topics may want to skip this book; it would not hurt to try it.

You Speak Good English for a Nigerian
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-kilyungi.html
Latest Review: A Fate Unwound Too Soon by anna-karen sorensen

Post by Victor Kilyungi »

It's a thrill just reading your review. I can't imagine how great the book is then. I love books about the African culture, and to experience someone else's journey through words, descriptions, humour, and all of that spiciness that probably is therein, is wonderful. I'd love to give this one a try. Thank you for your detailed review. I loved it.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Lovely review from you. I think I would enjoy reading the book to enjoy the experiences of immigrants in America.
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Post by Hhannahh »

I couldn't resist this title! And I smiled all through this review because I could imagine the author's hilarious reactions. The difference between the African culture and the European culture is amazingly overwhelming. This would be such a great book.
Lovely review.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2319
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I love the intro!
Sounds like a good book I will enjoy reading soon.
I hope to learn more about this stranger in a strange land..
Someday soon, I will relate more to this story.
Thank you for the review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
laseniola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laseniola.html
Latest Review: The Smartest Person in the Room by Christian Espinosa

Post by laseniola »

This book screams entertaining and humor. I can relate to the swapping of family for strangers in a foreign land. Also, it is always fascinating to hear people speak English with their native accents, often times I wonder how I sound to them when I talk.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

This book sounds both fun and informative! Having a multi-cultural family myself, I can imagine some of the events, feelings and cultural shock. The idea of adding the husband’s story from visiting her home country is clever. Thanks for this lovely and insightful review!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like the realism of the plot. Everything that happens I can imagine in the world around me.
Kim Jek
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kim-jek.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kim Jek »

This book seems to have a unique development. I'm interested in the yam markets. Thanks for your recommendation.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

The title of the book is so inviting and funny. Thank you for the great review!
Sarah Ojomo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-ojomo.html
Latest Review: Midwinter Turns to Spring by Maria Veloso

Post by Sarah Ojomo »

Your review has made me very interested in this book. I have to read it. As a Nigerian, your review and the book seem relatable and funny while also showing the serious parts of the book. Thank you.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

I don't think leaving would be an option if you've come a long way to another country. A good storyline and two different perspective. One in New England and the other in Nigeria. Makes for a good read. Thank you for a beautiful review!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Victor Kilyungi wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 14:49 It's a thrill just reading your review. I can't imagine how great the book is then. I love books about the African culture, and to experience someone else's journey through words, descriptions, humour, and all of that spiciness that probably is therein, is wonderful. I'd love to give this one a try. Thank you for your detailed review. I loved it.
I'm glad that you enjoyed the review. This book is filled with tidbits about African culture—I highly enjoyed that. I hope you get a chance to try it out. Thanks for stopping by!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Saint Bruno wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 16:05 Lovely review from you. I think I would enjoy reading the book to enjoy the experiences of immigrants in America.
Thank you for your comment! I hope you get a chance to try this one out. Thanks for stopping by!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Hhannahh wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 16:26 I couldn't resist this title! And I smiled all through this review because I could imagine the author's hilarious reactions. The difference between the African culture and the European culture is amazingly overwhelming. This would be such a great book.
Lovely review.
The author's personality really comes out in this book. She is hilarious and honest. Thanks for stopping by!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”