Review of Garai mandiri ini ndichagarawo mamuri

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Review of Garai mandiri ini ndichagarawo mamuri

Post by Precious Naiti »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Garai mandiri ini ndichagarawo mamuri" by Lawrence Ngoni Chapungu.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Garai mandiri ini ndichagarawo mamuri is a Shona book by Lawrence Ngoni Chapungu. It falls in the genre of Spirituality and Religion. This book is a compilation of teachings and mainly prayers.

The book’s title is translated to mean the words said by Jesus Christ, “Abide in me and I will abide in you.” The author starts off the book by offering some helpful mediation which is useful in every Christian’s life. The meditation is full of humbling oneself before the Lord. He also mentions how Christians are supposed to be repelled by things of the World and should only have eyes for the Lord Jesus Christ. He encourages Christians to abide in Christ at all times and mentions that when someone is too relaxed in good times, they will probably be the most distressed in times of peril. He also mentions that Christians should submit themselves to God with utmost humility as humans are nothing but smoke. In the numerous teachings offered in the book, I managed to cling to one in particular where the author says that a person who seeks to please themselves does not please God. There is also a section where Christians are advised to reconsecrate themselves to God through Holy Mother Mary. There are ten prayers mentioned which were given to Saint Bridget. There are sections on thanksgiving and confession that are very helpful to Christians and offer guidance as to how they are supposed to pray. There is a section dedicated to communicating with the Holy Spirit and asking for help. The author asks the Holy Spirit to shine his light upon us, teach us to pray accordingly, write his laws in our hearts, and give us knowledge. Most prayers are divided into M (The Priest), V(people), and MS (reader of the word). The book also contains some songs that can be used as prayers at different times.

The first thing I loved about this book is that it was translated to perfection in my mother tongue, hence it was very easy for me to read meticulously. I love how there is a list that shows the contents of the book and page allocation. It shows the reader what to expect and when. The author did some thorough research and compiled the book from various sources such as the Compendium of the Catholic Church, Catholic Prayer Book, and Imitation of Christ by Thomas Kemp. The fact that the book’s title is inspired by a Bible verse (John 15 verse 5) is also something I found to be appealing. I loved the imagery found here and there which gave the book a more tasteful edge that I appreciated. All images were appropriate and placed accordingly. Some images were of Jesus, Mother Mary, and a dove.

I love the way the book is inspiring and makes me want to know God more and spend more time with Him. The author was very thoughtful as he added prayers for nearly everything into the book. I appreciated prayers on asking for the gift of a child and those of husband and wife. The prayer of the husband and wife is detailed and includes how to pray for faithfulness to each other, among other important qualities. There are also family prayers and prayers for beginning and ending the day. I especially liked the prayer for born-again Christians which denounces all former behavior that is not in line with the kingdom of God. The author was very detail-oriented as he even got to mention prayers before and after eating. Last, but not least quality I found endearing about this book is that the prayers given are suitable for when praying alone, in a family, or a congregation.

The only thing I disliked about this book is the arrangement of the pages. I found it to be confusing as page one was next to page 212 and page 2 was next to page 211 and so on. This slowed me down in my reading as I had to track a page first before reading it to see if I was in the right order. Apart from this, the editing was impeccable. All things considered; I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because I enjoyed reading it.

I recommend the book to all audiences who have a working knowledge of deep Shona as the book was translated with the most accurate version of Shona I have ever come across. Anyone who is looking to strengthen their bond with God through prayer and supplication will most definitely benefit from this book.

Garai mandiri ini ndichagarawo mamuri
View: on Bookshelves
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Post by B Sheila Holt »

Wow! Ty for your beautifully detailed and informative review of this book. I can’t wait to get it and read it, based on your review. I love books with lots of prayers and scriptures in them. I’m only concerned that it is not expensive. Ty for a great review.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

The name of the book made me very curious to see what the book was about. Thank you for your balanced review!
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Post by Harty Muli »

The title is captivating so is the content. Thanks for the great review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”