Review of Jungle Jean

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Review of Jungle Jean

Post by bruin »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Jungle Jean" by Geralyn Gendreau.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jungle Jean is a fascinating biography about Jean Liedloff’s life, written by Geralyn Gendreau. In the 1970s, Jean introduced the modern world to attachment parenting in her book The Continuum Concept. Her teachings continue to have an impact on attachment theory, cultural anthropology, homeschooling, and unschooling. In this biography, Gendreau wonderfully showcases how the Yequana tribe in the Amazon forest influenced Jean's teachings. The journey of writing this book also helped Jean uncover parts of herself that were creating conflicts in her relationships.

Jean had a financially privileged life but always lacked acceptance and love from her mother. She had a wonderful upbringing by her grandmother, experienced many different romantic relationships, and had an active social life with famous friends. She joined friends on expeditions to the Amazon rainforest to hunt for diamonds. On these trips, Jean lived with the Yequana tribe. She noticed that the relationships between adults and adolescents were always harmonious. This was opposite from a civilized filled with power struggles, anxiety, depression, and aggression.

Jean explains how the mother-infant bond plays a major role in how we manage our adult lives. As she shares her life story, she begins to recognize how her relationship with her mother impacted her entire life. Her teachings went beyond parenting methods and revealed a way of life that would ultimately create a well-adjusted society.
I rate this book a 4 out of 4. This book is so much more than reading about Jean’s experience in the Amazon jungle. Through Jean’s relationships with the members of the tribe and her affluent friends, you learn about human nature and psychology. I thoroughly enjoyed reading all 337 pages. There are no grammar errors and the book seems to be professionally edited. There is nothing that I disliked about this book. I recommend this book to readers who enjoy self-help books and are interested to learn about how childhood experiences affect adult relationships.

What I liked most about this book are the conversations between the author and Jean. This biography is unique because while Gendreau is writing Jean’s life story, their friendship grows into a deeper connection that Jean has never had with anyone else. These intimate conversations reveal Jean’s relationship struggles that are relatable.

I do not recommend this book to readers who are not interested in reading about the origins of attachment parenting. I also do not recommend this book to readers who do not want to learn how to look into your earliest memories to determine what triggered your current defense mechanisms. For readers who are interested in learning more about Jean’s teachings, there are many references throughout the book and various articles found on her website.

Jungle Jean
View: on Bookshelves
Kanchan Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Kanchan Sharma »

Wonderful support for many people who are facing challenges with the issues related to parents. It is a good way to understand a child's perspective I would love to read it. A clear review.
Tri Riastutie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Tri Riastutie »

Teach some People how to Interesting and thinking about learning very important to some people any where
Mercy Osmond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-osmond.html
Latest Review: The Trials of Uwe, Parts I, II and III by Steven L Masia

Post by Mercy Osmond »

A mother is everything to a child and when that mother becomes a villain in that child's life, it will scar the child. Thanks for the beautiful review.
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

I've never heard about attachment parenting before now. It sounds like a topic I would love to explore. Great review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”