Review of A Nation Of Sheep Will Believe A Trump

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Review of A Nation Of Sheep Will Believe A Trump

Post by Okafor Prosper »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Nation Of Sheep Will Believe A Trump" by Arun K. Govil.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Never in the recent era has it happened that a presidential candidate castigated people publicly based on their sex, military service record, country of origin, or disability, has threatened to lock up his opponent, and on top of all, operated without any regard for truth or facts. Yet, despite all this, voters simply followed a blind partisan path to vote for their Republican candidate regardless of his countless and evident shortcomings." - Page 104.

Based on everything we have witnessed from 2017 till now, one has to wonder why and how the 45th president of the United States of America, Donald Trump, made it into power. This is one key question that Arun K. Govil attempts to answer in his book, A Nation Of Sheep Will Believe A Trump. In this book, Arun gives us an in-depth look into not just the sheep mentality that has seen a lot of people follow without question, but he also takes us through certain elements that were manipulated by Trump, including the media, education, and even racial issues and differences, leading up to the dreadful January 6, 2021, when the United States democracy was threatened.

I would say that this was an intriguing read for me, and I found this book enlightening in many ways. While much of the book is based on how Trump rose to power and his mission to destroy democracy, it points out a lot of scary, relevant issues that have to be dealt with if we are to live in a peaceful world where everyone's voice matters. From trying to discredit voting results and dishing out false information through Fox News and social media platforms to his gross mishandling of police brutality by criticizing peaceful protesters, especially in the heat of the George Floyd case, and egging violent white supremacists on, the book raises a lot of thought-provoking questions around why he still had the massive support he had.

The author favors a simple approach in dishing out his information but fully understands that several complex factors together influence Trump supporters. I liked that he presents his information in an easily accessible manner, tackling these factors one after another. A lack of education among his supporters is cited as well as the willingness of "Trump bots" to believe strongly in conspiracy theories and feel aligned with Trump's racist values. Arun K. Govil makes a lot of compelling arguments, as he includes several published studies with references to support his claims.

I, for one, did not fully agree with his opinions on the connections between education level and sheep mentality, but not only does he present the statistics, but he also points to Trump's low-level vocabulary, his dislike for books, and the ease at which he disputes scientifically proven facts, which have been contagious to his supporters, and this makes me wonder.

A lot of interesting comparisons are also drawn between Trump and Hitler while recognizing the attempts of several people that fought to protect democracy in the United States. Nevertheless, the contents of the book illustrate that this is an ongoing battle that we must all partake in to continue to protect our fragile democracy. The book has fully opened my eyes to the importance of taking an interest in politics.

The only aspect of the book I did not like was its editing. I found quite a lot of errors while reading, which indicated that the book was not professionally edited. Therefore, I rate A Nation Of Sheep Will Believe A Trump three out of four stars. I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy are interested in improving their political awareness.

A Nation Of Sheep Will Believe A Trump
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Miriam nkere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-nkere.html
Latest Review: Rosa, a Survivor from Terrorism by Dan Verin

Post by Miriam nkere »

What an enlightening review, eye opener to what's happening underground in politics, good review
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

What goes on in the political space of countries like the USA is always interesting and enlightening to read about. I'll definitely check this out. Great review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”