Review of Cursed

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Review of Cursed

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cursed" by BricyShay.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cursed by BricyShay is the story of Luna’s journey through her young adult years. Luna lost both of her parents in a tragic accident when she was young. Her sister Layal, took over care of her siblings at the age of eighteen. Luna is the youngest child in her family and is determined to find her own path. The story begins with Luna’s sophomore year. Luna gets a job at the mall and begins to date a boy named Xander. She is convinced that she is in love with him. Unfortunately, Xander is not as committed to the relationship. Luna learns a lot about herself and love during her relationship with Xander.

There are a few things I really liked about this book. Luna is an extremely relatable character. Any high school girl would appreciate the ups and downs of Luna’s life. The author pulls you into Luna’s story. I also like how the book changes the perspective between Luna and her friends. All of the characters add depth to the story. It makes the story more dynamic to hear Xander and Luna’s differing views on their relationship. Simone, Luna’s best friend, is one of my favorite characters. She goes through a difficult relationship of her own. Through it all, she remains a very loyal and supportive friend. Everyone hopes to have a friend like her.

There are also a few things that I did not like about this book. The characters all give very detailed descriptions of what they and those around them are wearing. I feel there is too much emphasis on what everyone wears. There is also a lot of slang words in this story. I had to reread sentences a few times to decipher what some of the slang words meant. The book also has a large amount of profanity and sexual content. I felt the book could use less of both.

I enjoyed this story, and I feel it had valuable life lessons about relationships and self-love to teach young adults. I did not find any grammar or spelling errors, but there were some missing spaces between words. I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the story and the characters. Unfortunately, as I stated, I did not like the amount of profanity and sexual content. Furthermore, the extensive talk about wardrobes bored me at some points in the story. For these reasons, I deducted one star.

Overall, this is a good story and I recommend it to mature young adults. Because of the profanity and sexual content, I feel this book is not suitable for anyone under the age of sixteen.

Cursed
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

It does sound like an interesting book. However, I will be skipping it due to the sexual content and profanities. I just think a lot of that is unnecessary in books and would actually appeal to a broader audience if they left it out. Thanks for an informative review.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
QveenAthea
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by QveenAthea »

This sounds like a very enticing book. This book is definitely for a more mature audience. Thanks for this review, I will be checking it out.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”