Review of I Am My Own Healer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Review of I Am My Own Healer

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I Am My Own Healer" by Theeruha Thevarajan.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I Am My Own Healer by Theeruha Thevarajan is a self-help book that seeks to help us look inward and understand that we all have what it takes to heal ourselves. In this 40-page book, Ms. Thevarajan shares the things that worked for her in her journey and encourages readers to believe they can also achieve the same success.

Ms. Thevarajan recounts how she started having seizure-like episodes out of nowhere. Though she somehow remained conscious during those episodes, she never remembered anything that happened during them. After a full assessment, her issue was deemed psychological. Hence, the author started working with a therapist. However, her life changed when her father gifted her a self-help book that set her on her recovery path.

With only 40 pages, this book is easy to finish in a sitting. You see, being that the book is a fast read, you are encouraged to pick the book and give a listening ear to the author's message. Then after reading about what has been working for the author, you find recommendations of other materials you can also read to gain a broader knowledge on being your own healer. So I must commend the author for sharing the book recommendations.

Even though the book is concise, the author still managed to share beneficial practical tips. And that is what I like most about the book. I especially loved her advice on using journaling to diffuse overwhelming emotions. More so, I found her teachings about 'Mirror Work' to be eye-opening and inspiring. I appreciate her advice to readers on the need to recognize that their own paths might be different from hers. However, she adds that it is still okay to try out the same thing to see if it works for us or make adjustments that suit us. As always, I like to highlight the need to seek professional help for mental issues anytime I see it in any book. Kudos to the author for reiterating this fact.

Furthermore, I enjoyed the author's conversational tone and simple language. There were no ambiguities, and her explanations are easy to understand. I especially liked her tips on meditation because I haven't been able to meditate for more than 2 minutes without being distracted.

Nevertheless, I didn't enjoy finding errors in a short read like this. The errors aren't much, but considering that the book has only 40 pages, I expected an exceptional editing job. And despite how much I love that it is a short read, I also think people can get the same information in detail from the other books she recommends. Apart from her personal experiences, most of the hints and advice in the book are from these books. Therefore, I am rating I Am My Own Healer 3 out of 4 stars. The subpar editing and not-so-unique ideas in the book jointly cost it a star. But the book doesn't deserve a lower rating due to all the points in its favor. If you have an open mind and wish to learn how to take the reins of your healing process, I recommend this book to you and believe you would find it beneficial.

I Am My Own Healer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kanchan Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Kanchan Sharma »

Wonderful support for many people who are facing challenges during this period. I am fond of self-help books. I would love to read it.
Mercy119
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

It's unfortunate that there aren't any unique ideas in such a short self-help book. That plus the shoddy editing will make me steer clear of this one.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I'm not going to do it. I have a real problem with people trying to tell me that I can heal myself. It seems like a way to get me to read the book.
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

It's good for a short read and 40 pages to become your own healer. The subpar editing and not so unique ideas are unfortunate. Thank you for a beautiful review!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Despite its flaws, this book seems like an interesting reading. Thank you for this balanced review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”