Review of Overcoming Adversity ( Relaunched)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Re: Review of Overcoming Adversity ( Relaunched)

Post by Mwatu »

Glad to see the author share his experience as a poor black man in the civil rights movements era. Thanks for a lovely review!
Effie Cherotich
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-effie-cherotich.html
Latest Review: Khanjar by Bob O'Brien

Post by Effie Cherotich »

This book has a profoundly good plot. Most of the time I see books that just motivate you to be successful. This book takes an interesting turn to show how one can be successful in a hostile environment.
Latest Review: Khanjar by Bob O'Brien
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I appreciate the succinct summary that the official OBC reviewer included for us. I have not read the book, but I am a bit interested in the reviewer deducting a star from the book's rating. Congratulations to the author for BOTD!
Saimon Alphonce
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Saimon Alphonce »

Actually when I read the trouble in this book is all about the rascism as it made same problem in the world including to made the world into two parts , that's high class and low class,so the writer tried to reveal what's happen in the society in our contemporary life .
John Arun Kumar
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-arun-kumar.html
Latest Review: Sophistries of Summer Days by Jenny Lofters

Post by John Arun Kumar »

Amidst color of the skin playing a prominent role in the Public Square all the more these days , this story from life goes to show God is color blind. I mean, God's word cuts across racial lines and offers freedom to those who seek it. I would like to find out more on what the author has to say on this.
oluwalonimi29
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwalonimi29.html
Latest Review: Radioland by m.e. Elzey

Post by oluwalonimi29 »

Racism has being a major stumbling block to the path of the blacks. For the author to say that his color aided his failure means a lot.
Though in present time racism has reduced, but it will be a great thing if it can be stopped totally. But, how do those who we call racist change when we the black still abuse ourselves. One of the books that makes me cry for Africa.
Good one!!!
Arid Rudian

Post by Arid Rudian »

Good book indeed I like the part where it says his poor background coupled with his skin color in an era where blacks were still seen as lesser humans poses significant barriers to achieving his dreams
cerith
Currently Reading: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Bookshelf Size: 32

Post by cerith »

A motivating read, about overcoming adversities, particularly racism. I'm curious how life turned out for him, how he overcome everything hindering his journey to a successful life, did he learn to just not care or did he somehow overturn the system that treats people of color as somehow lesser? Because I'm unsure how to change other people, when it's them who's the problem, with discrimination and prejudices. I'd read it, hopefully it'd have a happy ending.
Obioma CM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obioma-cm.html
Latest Review: Higher Ground by Sophia Edwards-Bennett MD PhD

Post by Obioma CM »

I found this book particularly interesting. It told a story we are very familiar with in it's most naked form. I would agree that even though racism forms a large part of influence on people of color, we should not hide behind it for many or most of our failures. Great book. Totally recommended!
ViviVivid
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivivivid.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by ViviVivid »

Seems like a good read. History is filled with racial discrimination. And still is a major factor in deciding the opportunities one gets. Just like the book, showcasing a white man.
Gazal Wahab

Post by Gazal Wahab »

I like non fiction books they are based on reality i love to read such kind of books i really enjoy reading books
Victor ODEYEMI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-odeyemi.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Victor ODEYEMI »

We all face adversity in life, just as Nelson faced it. Likewise, giving up in adversity is not an option.
Racism is a wild beast that must be tamed if the world will know peace.
However keeping faith in God is paramount to us overcoming adversity.
mohammed elshafey
Currently Reading: Caged Within
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by mohammed elshafey »

The good book I really like the part where it says that his poor background along with his skin color in an era when black people were still seen as less severe human beings, which posed huge barriers to achieving his dreams
Ashiraf Sserwadda
Currently Reading: Descendant Deception
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ashiraf Sserwadda »

I sholud read more about this book as it seems to throw more points about racism and challenges faced by a black man in a white state.thanks for the review
Tomes 2 Read
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomes-2-read.html
Latest Review: Rough Way to the High Way by Kelly Mack McCoy

Post by Tomes 2 Read »

I appreciated how the author shed light on racism in its many forms and how it impacts a person's life. I was also impressed with the accomplishments he made despite the racism he faced personally, professionally, and in the military.

The way he wrote about his experiences, accomplishments, and disappointments was unique - it reads like a journal, which gives it a more personal feel. Mr. Fowlkes had great insight as well, which pointed to his faith and tenacity through these challenges. I wish there was more insight throughout the book but that speaks to my personal fascination with mindsets and thought patterns (i.e., how successful people think) - that doesn't detract from the book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”