Review of Paper Doll

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Review of Paper Doll

Post by maggi3 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Paper Doll" by Caitlin Strommen.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Paper Doll follows Caitlin Strommen's journey of both mental and physical illness. Strommen developed anorexia at the age of 12 and later developed illnesses such as OCD and psychosis as well as an autoimmune disorder. She writes in a stream-of-consciousness style about her experiences with these illnesses, the factors that led to them, and how writing and music helped her get through her darkest moments.

I wasn’t quite sure what to think of Paper Doll when I started reading it. Strommen uses song titles instead of chapter headings to break up the writing. She also includes quite a few playlists. I tried at first to follow along and listen to the songs she listed, but I soon realized this was not feasible, as she mentions hundreds of songs. A lot of the book is written like poetry, as Strommen often does not use periods and divides the text up into separate lines rather than traditional paragraphs. At other points, she uses walls of text with no spacing.

However, once I got used to the style the book was written in, I really loved it. Paper Doll is an incredibly personal and intimate work. At times, I felt as if I were reading excerpts from Strommen’s diary. I admire Strommen’s courage in her writing, as I believe people sharing their experiences with stigmatized illnesses is one of the only ways to destigmatize them. One of my favorite things about the book was the strong theme of feminism. Strommen says multiple times that her eating disorder and subsequent illnesses came in part from the patriarchal ideas of femininity that were placed on her from a young age. This makes the book larger than just the author’s individual experiences. In a broad sense, this could be seen as a story about the harmful effects of sexism and the patriarchy.

This doesn’t mean that Paper Doll is perfect. I noticed many grammatical errors and typos throughout the story, such as mixing up your and you’re. It is also a fairly long read that could be edited down substantially if some of the repetition was taken out. For example, Strommen clarifies many times that she doesn’t hate men and that she believes feminism needs to include men without adding any new information to her point. The stylistic choices such as using commas instead of periods also made parts of the book confusing to read. These issues didn’t affect my reading experience too much, though. Paper Doll, in Strommen’s words, is “scattered, and in a million pieces, like my heart and brain.” Her writing style is meant to portray the way her mind works, and I believe she is successful at doing so.

With all this in mind, I am rating Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen 3 out of 4 stars. I loved the feminist themes and Strommen’s focus on survival. However, I had to deduct a star for the editing errors. I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in psychology or mental health and does not mind non-linear storytelling. Those who have struggled with mental illness may also find something to connect with in Strommen’s story. However, those who may be triggered by mentions of OCD, psychosis, eating disorders, suicidal thoughts etc. should avoid this one.

Paper Doll
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I'm glad that the author could share her story, and I hope she was able to heal from her negative experiences. Hopefully, some editing can be done to make this book even better.

Thank you for sharing your honest thoughts in this review.
:tiphat:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Aarti Jha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarti-jha.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aarti Jha »

I completely agree with your opinion about sharing experiences about stigmatized diseases as an effective means of destigmatizing them. I am glad that book was written in stream of consciousness style as this is one style i love the most. I wish book has gone through one more round of editing in order to remove the many typos you encountered. Overall, well-written review!
Humeyra Karakas
Currently Reading: How children learn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humeyra-karakas.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Humeyra Karakas »

Too much to deal with at a young age. I admire her courage to write about her journey. Thanks for the review.
maggi3

Post by maggi3 »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 09:46 I'm glad that the author could share her story, and I hope she was able to heal from her negative experiences. Hopefully, some editing can be done to make this book even better.

Thank you for sharing your honest thoughts in this review.
:tiphat:
From what I read, the author fortunately seems to be in the process of healing and self-love. I agree about the editing, too. Thanks for commenting!

maggi3

Post by maggi3 »

Pooja Bhardwaj wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 09:55 I completely agree with your opinion about sharing experiences about stigmatized diseases as an effective means of destigmatizing them. I am glad that book was written in stream of consciousness style as this is one style i love the most. I wish book has gone through one more round of editing in order to remove the many typos you encountered. Overall, well-written review!
The stream of consciousness style is certainly unique and makes the book more personal. Thank you for commenting!

maggi3

Post by maggi3 »

Humeyra Karakas wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 13:45 Too much to deal with at a young age. I admire her courage to write about her journey. Thanks for the review.
I agree. I know from experience it's really hard to write about such personal topics, so I really admire Strommen for doing so. Thanks for commenting!

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Mental health is a difficult and sensitive subject, also for the ramifications created by some social behaviors that can cause mental illness. This book can help people suffering from mental issues and show the dangers of imposing certain models. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It seems like a book that tackles a lot of issues, some hard ones and some more superficial. I loved reading your thorough review!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I appreciate the author's courage to share the intimate story with the readership. It is a pity that the book is full of errors.
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Janet Kimetto »

This writer's writing style interests me. And isn't she a brave one! Thank you for your well-written review!
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I myself have struggled with disordered eating, so I'm sure there's much here that I could relate to. I'm not sure I could get used to the style of writing, though. Thanks for a thorough review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
maggi3

Post by maggi3 »

NetMassimo wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 01:41 Mental health is a difficult and sensitive subject, also for the ramifications created by some social behaviors that can cause mental illness. This book can help people suffering from mental issues and show the dangers of imposing certain models. Thank you for your great review!
I agree. It’s a subject that I feel needs to be discussed more, but it’s easy for conversations about mental illness to become triggering or uncomfortable. Thanks for commenting!

maggi3

Post by maggi3 »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 02:52 It seems like a book that tackles a lot of issues, some hard ones and some more superficial. I loved reading your thorough review!
Yes, it is certainly an ambitious book that covers many topics. I’m glad you enjoyed the review. Thanks for commenting!

maggi3

Post by maggi3 »

markodim721 wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 03:34 I appreciate the author's courage to share the intimate story with the readership. It is a pity that the book is full of errors.
I agree. Hopefully this book can get the editing it needs. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”