Review of MONEY - How To Make Your Money Work For You

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Review of MONEY - How To Make Your Money Work For You

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "MONEY - How To Make Your Money Work For You" by Wanda P Bowman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Money is unavoidable; each person needs it to survive. Money is what allows us to buy not only much-needed food, clothes, and shelter but also highly-coveted cell phones, cars, or premium coffee. But how can one manage their money in a way that allows them to have these things and save enough to retire? Wanda P. Bowman, the author of MONEY - How To Make Your Money Work For You, helps readers figure this out. Using her experiences with money management during her life, she lists ideas about managing money that include tips about changing one’s mindset, opening up a savings account, and avoiding impulsive spending. Passive income is also explained and includes items such as royalties, wholesaling, and real estate investing.

The concept that I liked and found helpful was the one about plugging spending leaks. Mrs. Bowman explains the differences between what wants and needs are, which any reader can understand. While reading this chapter, I started to think about the items that I don’t need, including my unused video streaming service. After reading this chapter, readers will think about where their money is going and deciding if they need those items or services in question.

As a member of Gen Z, money creation is a necessity. Mrs. Bowman’s advice about positively building this skill did not disappoint! I was especially fond of the advice about establishing an online business to create passive income. Even though this method is not entirely passive, the author explains how this tactic may help readers who want to make passive income from home. Tech-savvy young adults may find this chapter about making money to be interesting and helpful.

The section about real estate investing was very insightful as well. Personally, the concepts of renting out homes and buying and flipping them are foreign to me. With Mrs. Bowman’s help, I have a better understanding of how to determine what property types are best for new landlords, how to obtain funding to purchase property, and how to deal with rental repairs. There are more well-explained topics that I liked, but there are too many to mention here. Readers who are new to real estate investing will not want to miss this chapter.

Even though the online business chapter of the book was one of my favorites, there was a lack of details about the advantages and disadvantages of managing an online business. However, I believe that the author did not include them because the digital landscape is anything but static regarding marketing and the laws that come with it. She even encourages readers to research what advantages and disadvantages come with marketing and managing an online business, which further supports my point.

I noticed over ten grammatical errors in the book, which leads me to believe that it was not professionally edited. These errors are why I have to rate this title 3 out of 4 stars. I did not give it two stars because the positives of this book outweigh the one negative that I found. There is one brief mention of a Bible verse at the beginning of the book, but this should not deter readers because this is the only mention of the Bible throughout the book. I recommend this book to readers who are new to money management and creation and want a simple book that explains these concepts.

MONEY - How To Make Your Money Work For You
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Mayur Arjune
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayur-arjune.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Mayur Arjune »

The world is all about money. Money reaches to very few, this I learned from this review. Let's see what book has to say.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I think your idea about distinguishing between necessities and needs is essential. Starbucks every day? Not a necessity. We, definitely, live on a culture of materialism. I don't have a problem with luxuries, as long as we know that they don't define us, and we don't gent into debt to live above our means.
About online businesses, I think the advice was a bit late. A few years ago, pretty much anyone with a good idea for a blog, for example, could have a small stream of passive income. Unfortunately, that market is saturated in my experience.
But I think everyone needs to be more aware of their attitude towards money, so this book seems like a great start.
This was a great review, as always. Congratulations.
Cheryl Erickson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

I think just about everyone could use some guidance about money management in this day and age. Personally, I would benefit from the chapter on plugging spending leaks. Thank you for your clear-cut summary, helpful opinions, and review of this book. Well done!
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 276
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christell-lindeque.html
Latest Review: Field Guide to Sinisters and Benevolents by Nancy L Vallette

Post by Christell Lindeque »

This is definitely a book a lot of people need in their life. The only problem is to follow through with the advice of the book. This is something I am interested in. Great review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”