Review of Passage from India

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Review of Passage from India

Post by El_limitless »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Passage from India" by HArold Mondol.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book Passage from India is the autobiography of HArold Mondol. In this book, he shared a lot of truths about his very adventurous life. He wrote about how strange his birth appeared to a lot of people because his mother was from the United States and his father was from India. He described himself as a product of an unaccepted social relationship.

He wrote about his childhood, his education, his romantic love relations and his vast cultural experience. He equally shared information about his work life in different parts of the world. Being very family-oriented, the author wrote extensively about his family and his role as a father. It's safe to say that the book focused on the themes of love and dedication. Harold learnt family love from his parents and inculcated the same in his children. He dedicated himself to his work, whether as a preacher in the Methodist Church, a videographer, a teacher or government staff. Harold was determined to live life to the fullest as he leveraged every opportunity he got to make something great out of his life by exploring new adventures.

The book has some positive points. I love that the author shared pictures from the events being described in the book. The pictures brought the events being described closer to home. I could see the places and the people, and it felt like I was physically present in the environment. I love that the author didn't bore the reader with stories not directly connected to his life. I see that with a lot of autobiographies, especially when the life of the author was not so eventful. I also love the author's writing style. He told the stories from his life in a very systematic fashion.

What I didn't quite appreciate about the book was the omission of commas in different sentences. It affected my enjoyment of the autobiography a bit.

It doesn't seem to me that the book was professionally edited. I found some grammatical and spelling errors in it. Consequently, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I did not give the book a lower rating because I loved the sincerity of the author in sharing his story. He wrote about his successes and failures. I struck out a star because of the errors I found in the book.

I recommend this book to lovers of autobiographies, especially one from which they can learn about love, hard work, parenting and adventurous living.

Passage from India
View: on Bookshelves
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Sounds like a nice autobiography. It will be interesting to read about the adventures and tge author's childhood. Thank you for a great review!
Aarti Jha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarti-jha.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aarti Jha »

"Harold was determined to live life to the fullest as he leveraged every opportunity he got to make something great out of his life by exploring new adventures". I so want to be like Harold. The book's themes of love, hard labour, and so on strike strongly with me. Thank you for this review. Well-articulated!
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Harold seems like a resilient man. This attribute is what a lot of people need. Societal constructs and stereotypes may not always speak in your favour, but if you decide to live life optimally, you will and you'll have no regret about it. Thanks for the review
Beauty Kalu22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-segunjohn.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Beauty Kalu22 »

Thank you for a well detailed and honest review. I've always loved non fiction books and this sounds like one I'll definitely love to have for myself.
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

This book has a good structure and plot. It has a good flow. It seems interesting and captivating. Thanks for the review.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

It looks like the author was born in the late years when interracial marriages are still rare since the reviewer mentioned that he was a product of unaccepted social relationships. It is now being developed and better accepted. This is a good book to read, I can sense. Thanks for your wonderful review!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Stephen Pokoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-pokoo.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Stephen Pokoo »

I found your review to be a captivating exploration of the book. Your insights truly enhance the reading experience.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”