Review of Jubilee

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Review of Jubilee

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Jubilee" by Roxann Dehlin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Being in a family where you see yourself as a mistake, burden, and dirty linen could be disheartening and pathetic. The author faced all these experiences and even worse.

Jubilee by Roxann Dehlin is a dystopian memoir. Roxann recounts her journey of self-discovery as she writes a painful account of the hatred she faces from her immediate family and relatives. Roxann suffered a series of life-threatening traumas right from childhood to adulthood. In August 1947, at eight months, Roxann was exposed to flu due to her mum’s carelessness, which resulted in a seizure that formed stroke and polio. As a result, it affected her brain, which caused forgetfulness and slow speech. She battled with all these impediments until adulthood. Her only source of happiness came from her paternal grandparents, who showered her with so much love. Her grandpa, Don, bought her a horse, Jubilee. Riding Jubilee kept her busy and away from her abusive and narcissistic mum. Roxann found the love, friendship, and companionship she lacked at home in Jubilee. She suffered this seizure for 42 years and counted up to 15,500 epileptic seizures in the first 25 years. Pick up this book to learn how her husband, Ron, Jubilee, and Dr. Holmes helped in her healing process and self-discovery.

The story is written in the first-person point of view, which helps readers connect deeply with the author’s journey. The themes center around parenting mistakes, accusations, healing, forgiveness, perseverance, discovery, and forging ahead. Interestingly, this book would serve as a wake-up call for mothers who choose to pursue a career at the detriment of their children’s welfare.

Honestly, I must commend the author for sharing the painful story of her life’s journey because it takes courage to do so. The author seems to have told her story in all honesty, and every word she said was believable. She shares her weaknesses, struggles, failures, and successes, and readers can easily relate and resonate with her story.

What I like the most about this book is the author’s inspiring decision never to give up on herself. Regardless of the embarrassment of falling in public due to the seizures, she still forged ahead with her education. Even while studying, she finds it challenging to retain and remember things, yet she kept pursuing her degree regardless of the circumstances. This attribute of the author will motivate and inspire a lot of readers.

Furthermore, I thoroughly enjoyed reading Roxann’s story, and despite being a non-fiction book, it is also suspenseful and absorbing. The narration and description of events were relatable and engaging. She used friendly language throughout her narration, making my reading experience enjoyable and seamless. Roxann writes as if she’s speaking to the reader directly. I liked that the author shared some personal photographs that would help draw the reader into her world.

In conclusion, I’d recommend this book to people who suffered abuse from narcissistic parents. It would also be suitable for people who enjoy memoirs and self-discovery books. There is nothing I dislike about this book. Hence, I’d rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I believe it was professionally edited since I encountered only a few typos in the text.

Jubilee
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

Wow, it's horrible that the author experienced so much trauma in her life. I'm glad, though, that she was able to share her experiences and this inspiring message that you should never give up on yourself, even when things seem impossible. Thanks for the review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
Humeyra Karakas
Currently Reading: How children learn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humeyra-karakas.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Humeyra Karakas »

She had an abusive mom, but she was also gifted with loving grandparents, husband and a horse to spend time with. Although effects of her mother's carelessness lasted a long time, true love helped her heal. Great book for inspiration. Thanks.
Benaron
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benaron.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Benaron »

Sounds like a very emotional read; it's unbelievable how the author was strong enough to put it all into a book and share her experience with the world.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

The idea of a dystopian memoir seems intriguing. However, it seems like she has suffered a lot, and I feel like one has to be in a certain state of the mid to read such a tough book. Thank you for your excellent review!
Reader Chavez
Currently Reading: Jirvania
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-chavez.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reader Chavez »

It seems like an inspiring and emotional book. The author seems to have suffered a lot through her life and, amazingly, she manages to write her story in such an honest way. I'm eager to read this book. Thanks for the amazing review!
Bright Umoru
Currently Reading: How to be successful
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-umoru.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Love by Sherine Anniruth
Reading Device: Android

Post by Bright Umoru »

This a sad story, very emotional. People have really suffered in this world ooh
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like that the author faithfully managed to move emotions into the book. Thanks for the good review.
Miriam nkere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-nkere.html
Latest Review: Rosa, a Survivor from Terrorism by Dan Verin

Post by Miriam nkere »

What a sad story, emotional and what people go through in the hands of their supposed loved ones, nice review
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

Oh my goodness. Some people really do have terrible luck and circumstances. What a story... I love when the connection of an animal shines through the terrible things happening to someone. We do not deserve animals' goodness.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

The author suffered a lot, which is why all her achievements are even more inspiring and can represent a great example for other people. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

A motivational book that is worth reading. Her life experiences would surely resonate with everyone whose experiencing constant adversity. I am enjoying reading it. Thanks for this great review!
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

Wow.
When you think you have seen it all, you come across another that's even worse.
I can't imagine how one person survived all that.
I have to read this book.
Great review.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 489
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

It's really interesting how the author was able to bond with her pet horse to overcome her trauma. I'm glad that, despite all of her challenges, she was able to accomplish her goals. I agree that this book can serve as a wake-up call for negligent mothers.

Thank you for a wonderful review!
🐎 :tiphat:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”