Review of Sod this for a Game of Soldiers: My Life in Conflict

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Review of Sod this for a Game of Soldiers: My Life in Conflict

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sod this for a Game of Soldiers: My Life in Conflict" by Stephen Newman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sod this for a Game of Soldiers: My Life in Conflict by Stephen Newman will take you on an incredible journey through various careers and around the world. This memoir is a true adventure book, so gear up for some action!

Stephen Newman was born in the UK and came from a long line of military ancestors, full of medals and trauma. The conflict was a constant in his life, starting with his early childhood spent in the volatile situation of Aden. The army seemed like the best career choice, so the author became a soldier for Northern Ireland. He discovered he liked to chase the bad guys, so he did it on the streets, as a policeman, and also from an office, investigating financial crimes. The MI5 tried to convince him to join them, but he declined. His career path continued and led him to new challenges. Are you curious to discover what he learned in the process?

The writing style was very engaging, and the poems and quotes from the beginning of the chapters were a nice touch. Nevertheless, the Military Slang index from the end of the book provided valuable information. I also appreciated the pictures from the personal archive that complemented the captivating stories. Despite the mentioned conflicts, it was not a grim novel because there were also some funny stories. For instance, the writer explained how the family tried to live a very British life (including during Christmas) in the scorching temperatures of Yemen.

The book was educational about Middle East history, Germany after WW2, and several exotic places like Taiwan. I discovered many interesting facts from history, such as the Falklands War that happened in 1982. The author also shared some important life lessons. For instance, military training taught him how to get an overall and objective image of any situation. The author went through some challenging circumstances, but he was not asking for pity; he just narrated the story. I loved how Stephen Newman presented his family in a very objective way. I admired his strong mother, the glue that kept the family together.

I had only a minor dislike; the author mentioned his partner and children in passing, but I would have liked to learn more about his personal life. However, that was not enough to drop a star. Therefore, Sod this for a Game of Soldiers: My Life in Conflict deserves a rating of four out of four.

I recommend the book to people who want to find out about life in the army or police. If you are interested in financial investigations and corruption, you should give the book a try. Readers that enjoy history lessons will surely appreciate this memoir. Please keep in mind the novel includes scenes of violence, abuse, rape, or bullying. Nevertheless, these disturbing scenes are mentioned in passing, without graphic details. However, I feel like a book is best suited for a mature audience.

Sod this for a Game of Soldiers: My Life in Conflict
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

This sounds like an intense read. I am glad that the author doesn't go too much in depth on topics like rape and abuse, as these can be triggering for many people. I would also find the descriptions of history fascinating. I'll have to check this book out. Thanks for the review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 11:50 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sod this for a Game of Soldiers: My Life in Conflict" by Stephen Newman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sod this for a Game of Soldiers: My Life in Conflict by Stephen Newman will take you on an incredible journey through various careers and around the world. This memoir is a true adventure book, so gear up for some action!

Stephen Newman was born in the UK and came from a long line of military ancestors, full of medals and trauma. The conflict was a constant in his life, starting with his early childhood spent in the volatile situation of Aden. The army seemed like the best career choice, so the author became a soldier for Northern Ireland. He discovered he liked to chase the bad guys, so he did it on the streets, as a policeman, and also from an office, investigating financial crimes. The MI5 tried to convince him to join them, but he declined. His career path continued and led him to new challenges. Are you curious to discover what he learned in the process?

The writing style was very engaging, and the poems and quotes from the beginning of the chapters were a nice touch. Nevertheless, the Military Slang index from the end of the book provided valuable information. I also appreciated the pictures from the personal archive that complemented the captivating stories. Despite the mentioned conflicts, it was not a grim novel because there were also some funny stories. For instance, the writer explained how the family tried to live a very British life (including during Christmas) in the scorching temperatures of Yemen.

The book was educational about Middle East history, Germany after WW2, and several exotic places like Taiwan. I discovered many interesting facts from history, such as the Falklands War that happened in 1982. The author also shared some important life lessons. For instance, military training taught him how to get an overall and objective image of any situation. The author went through some challenging circumstances, but he was not asking for pity; he just narrated the story. I loved how Stephen Newman presented his family in a very objective way. I admired his strong mother, the glue that kept the family together.

I had only a minor dislike; the author mentioned his partner and children in passing, but I would have liked to learn more about his personal life. However, that was not enough to drop a star. Therefore, Sod this for a Game of Soldiers: My Life in Conflict deserves a rating of four out of four.

I recommend the book to people who want to find out about life in the army or police. If you are interested in financial investigations and corruption, you should give the book a try. Readers that enjoy history lessons will surely appreciate this memoir. Please keep in mind the novel includes scenes of violence, abuse, rape, or bullying. Nevertheless, these disturbing scenes are mentioned in passing, without graphic details. However, I feel like a book is best suited for a mature audience.

Excellent review!! Sound like an interesting book.
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

maggi3 wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 23:27 This sounds like an intense read. I am glad that the author doesn't go too much in depth on topics like rape and abuse, as these can be triggering for many people. I would also find the descriptions of history fascinating. I'll have to check this book out. Thanks for the review!
It is indeed a very interesting one. I would love to meet the author in person :). Thank you for your comment!
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

ROSEYANN wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 23:48
Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 11:50 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sod this for a Game of Soldiers: My Life in Conflict" by Stephen Newman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Excellent review!! Sound like an interesting book.
I hope you'll get the chance to read it. Thank you for your visit!
Elijah Mwangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elijah-mwangi.html
Latest Review: My Living Will by John Trautwein
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Elijah Mwangi »

Wow this review sounds awesome. Being the person who likes experiencing new challenges I think this is the right book for me.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

It is great that the author writes about everything from personal experience. Thanks for the great review.
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

markodim721 wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 03:43 It is great that the author writes about everything from personal experience. Thanks for the great review.
It was an interesting perspective, indeed. Thanks for stopping by!
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: I Have Proof of a Higher Power by Ioan Dirina

Post by Harty Muli »

It will be great reading this book to discover the lessons the author learned from the military world he spent his life in. Thanks for the great review.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

An educational military book that is funny and engaging as well sounds like a great blend. I would like to check it out sometime. A greatly written review, as always! I enjoyed reading it!
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

I don't enjoy reading books that involve the military so I might pass on this one, but I enjoyed reading your review. Thank you for the recommendation.
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

Certainly not my choice of genre to read for fun, but your review was great! Very thorough and informative.
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Elijah Mwangi wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 03:24 Wow this review sounds awesome. Being the person who likes experiencing new challenges I think this is the right book for me.
I am looking forward to discover your opinion regarding the book! Thank you for your comment!
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Slater678 wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 05:02 It will be great reading this book to discover the lessons the author learned from the military world he spent his life in. Thanks for the great review.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I appreciate your comment.
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

SamaylaM wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 07:02 An educational military book that is funny and engaging as well sounds like a great blend. I would like to check it out sometime. A greatly written review, as always! I enjoyed reading it!
You are very kind, thank you for your feedback!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”