Review of Healing the Wound That Won't Heal: the Reality of Trauma

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Davinasmith18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-davinasmith18.html
Latest Review: Overcoming Adversity ( Relaunched) by Nelson J Fowlkes

Review of Healing the Wound That Won't Heal: the Reality of Trauma

Post by Davinasmith18 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Healing the Wound That Won't Heal: the Reality of Trauma" by Jo Spencer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Healing is a timeless topic because the world is full of hurts and tragedy. Some people are suffering silently, and some suffer vociferously, but there is something empowering about hearing the stories of others. Jo Holweger Spencer transparently shares her experience with understanding trauma at its essence in her book Healing the Wound that Won’t heal, The Reality of Trauma . The book provides personal and scientific perspectives on identifying and managing trauma and overcoming the hurts and damage caused by trauma.

What I liked most about the book was it was very logical. She began with a well-defined description of trauma, where she forewarns readers that healing is possible, but it is personal and takes profound and extensive work. I particularly appreciated her approach to letting go. She suggests that letting go is not simply forgetting the past, but rather letting go of the torment and pain associated with the past.

The author should be commended for sharing her approach to discovering who you are as an adult. She suggests that if we want to know who we are as adults we must look closely at our beginning. She says the clues are hidden in our beginnings and will lead us back to our true selves. The author combines her personal experience with science to provide a powerful and captivating discussion on the formation of the brain during birth and adolescence. Her argument is convincing and thought-provoking and sheds light on the immense scarring caused by emotional trauma.

What I found most enthralling was the discussion on addiction. She sees addiction as a lack of balance. Addictions may be mechanisms we develop over a lifetime to avoid pain and increase pleasure. She reveals that researchers are more frequently viewing suicide, addiction, and other destructive behaviors through the lens of inter-uterine life and birth trauma and development. She believes our infant selves have a story to tell because someone who experienced stress in infancy will have a different brain than those who did not suffer trauma. The problem, however, is most people will not have enough information to make the correlation. The author continues with a heartfelt discussion on her father and mother which serves to tie together the message like a well-thought-out gift. The most memorable phrase from the book is “we can suffer, and suffer fully, and still make the choice to go on living.”

There is nothing I did not like about this book. While there were some grammatical errors, they did not distract from the powerful message. I enjoyed the ease and simplicity of the book and I give the book a 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book for anyone who is introspective in their approach to understanding and finding solace in personal healing.

Healing the Wound That Won't Heal: the Reality of Trauma
View: on Bookshelves
Mayur Arjune
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayur-arjune.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Mayur Arjune »

In the course of time we develop some wounds that are not healthy, and we suffer a lot. I loved the concept of the book and how review is to the point.
Faith - Benny Any
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faith-benny-any.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Faith - Benny Any »

This is indeed a self - help book. Managing hurts needs to be learnt and practiced. It will go a long way to manage one's emotions. I would definitely love to add this to my shelf.
Niel Khairnar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Niel Khairnar »

Such a sensitive topic to write about. sounds like the author justified it

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”