Review of The Shining Place

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Review of The Shining Place

Post by TheMazeRunner »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Shining Place" by Frances Young Bennett.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Every other child is abused by their parents, intentionally or unintentionally. It is heart-wrecking when you see a man beating his child on the street. Every person that abuses their kids should be punished. The problem is that children don't have a voice or courage to fight against them. That is why we need to take care of them however and whenever we can.

The Shining Place is a book that tells the life story of a girl named Frances Bennett. Frances is also the author of this book. While having a tough life, she fought against everything and created her path that led her to light.

Joe and Janet were young when they got married. Their love resulted in two beautiful children named Frances and Scotty. Frances was a regular child who wanted love, toys, and a regular family. Her hope died when Joe, her father, started with his outbursts of rage. Her mother was beaten all the time until she decided to run away from her abuser. The three of them ended at Nana's house, and Frances thought they were finally safe. Her happiness didn't last long because her mother started dating some strange people. She eventually married one of them. Janet became cold towards her children, and she let her new lover beat and yell at them. Her behavior continued and eventually destroyed Frances's will for life.

When I started with this book, I hoped it was a fictional story. But, I was wrong, and it made me cry in the end. Frances's will for life is so great that she managed to get away from all the bad things in her life. I would give up if I were in her place. I cannot express how delighted I am with her approach to some things in life. For example, if my therapist did such a wrong thing to me, I would never come back to her. But, Frances did the opposite thing, and it was her best decision.

The editors did a magnificent job since I found zero errors in the book. I came across a few profane words and a couple of violent scenes in the text. There is nothing I disliked about the book. I love the fact the author shared such a personal experience with her readers.

This book deserves 4 out of 4 stars. The author's brutal honesty showed us that we need to open our eyes and speak for ourselves. The most important thing I have learned from this book is to fight for myself. No one should stand in front of us, and we need to be strong. This book is a good choice for everyone who experienced any type of abuse. It can be helpful for those who are coping with the tough stuff. I wouldn't recommend this book to young readers since there are a few violent scenes in it.

The Shining Place
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

The author seems brave and courageous to talk about such topics. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

It is hard for me to comprehend how a mother could stand by and watch her children be abused. I think this story would really bother me. I hate hearing about bad things happening to helpless children. Thank you for an excellent review!
Janet Kimetto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Frances sure is such a strong-willed person. I'm glad that she was able to get away from everything that happened to her growing up. Thank you for your wonderful review!
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

Excellent Review. It’s quite heartbreaking that this could ever happen to anyone.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

Sadly, there are many untold stories out there of events just like this. I wish it was not the case. Thanks for your review.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

Congratulations to the author for her courage. The topic is very delicate.
Mayur Arjune
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayur-arjune.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Mayur Arjune »

The book is heart wreaking, I could not stand reading it. The review is full of emotions with heart touching expressions.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This book would be sad because it's real. Unfortunately, it happens to way too many. I'm glad the author was able to get out eventually. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

An important book about a problem that negatively marks generation after generation. We can't hope to be in peace as a species if individuals are raised in violence! Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

Being a teacher, I see these awful situations first hand. It is horrific. I think I will avoid this book as I read to escape everyday life, not read about things I deal with already. Good review!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It seems like a tough and emotional book. Frances shows a lot of courage and determination, and this attitude can inspire other people. Thank you for this touching review!
Jacques Mwashuma
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacques-mwashuma.html
Latest Review: Doyle's Law by Sam Roberts

Post by Jacques Mwashuma »

A great review about a book that sheds life on what is different between abuse and discipline. An apt review that follows a touching story. 👏
If the heart is clear, it doesn't matter if there's a storm brewing in the sky.

- Bing Xin.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

It's sad when women keep ending up in abusive relationships. Poor little Frances had to deal with a lot of violence and upheaval in her childhood. I'm glad she could see the bright side and keep surviving.

Thank you for sharing your opinions in this review.
:techie-studyinggray:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

It's really heartbreaking to see just how many children go through abuse, but I'm glad they had the strength to overcome it. Thank you for the detailed review!
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”