Review of Words To Light My Way Home

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Review of Words To Light My Way Home

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Words To Light My Way Home" by Robin Klammer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Words To Light My Way Home is a book comprising poems and essays written by Robin Klammer. The author’s inspiration for her work is a lifelong struggle with depression, grief, and anxiety after suffering trauma and adversity from a very young age. Writing, amongst other things, has helped her stay afloat through her dark times and has served as a therapy to make sense of her life. She continues to have hope and embraces the lighter times of life whilst acknowledging her dark times and seeking help when necessary.

The first chapter highlights the relationship the author has with her mother. “What is a mother?” is a poem describing what a mother should be, but how this isn’t always the case and how dysfunction can pass through generations. The second chapter gives an insight into the author’s depression and struggles. I particularly like the poem “Sunny, with a chance of tornados.” This poem likened her thoughts to tornados, her heavy heart to thunder clouds, and her tears to torrential rain. I enjoyed the weather analogies, and this theme continues into the third chapter, where lightning and thunder describe the effects of sexual abuse.

Other chapters in the book contain essays discussing the authors’ journey through life. They discuss anger issues, grief, self-harm, and suicide. The author encourages asking for help when needed and emphasises that brighter days always follow dark days. The writing is cathartic for the author, and her words can help others on a similar journey.

The author states she has a dark sense of humour. I liked this aspect of her personality, as it is apparent in her writing. She writes about heart-breaking issues, but her wit adds a splash of light relief which is a welcome addition to this book. Her writing is sensitive and honest, and her words will resonate with any reader who has suffered from mental health issues. The author does a great job of bringing awareness to mental health issues. She reminds us that many people may be struggling behind closed doors.

I enjoyed the analogies used in the book. My favourite was the similarities and differences between grief and onions. She states that both can make you cry, but an onion has a finite number of layers, whereas grief has an infinite number of layers. This analogy helps the reader see that there is no escape from the pain of grief and that you have to work through it. It also demonstrates how it can be different for everyone and that there is no right or wrong way in handling grief.

The book is a healing journey of words for the author. It is a personal insight into her innermost thoughts and feelings, and it is clear she has had many struggles in her life. I commend her for writing this to help other people, but it is a sad read. The book will appeal to readers who have had traumatic life experiences and mental health issues. For readers who don’t relate to these issues, it may be a slightly bleak read.

The book is exceptionally edited, as I didn’t find any spelling and grammar mistakes. I appreciated the author’s openness and how she has helped her healing journey with creative words. I liked her dark humour and clever analogies, but I did find the book to be melancholy in parts, so I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. The book is suitable for adults because of the adult themes such as depression, suicide, and self-harm.

Words To Light My Way Home
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I believe the book abounds with great analogies. I only regret that the feeling of sadness dominates. Thanks for the good review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”