Review of WELL DONE –– A WWII Memoir

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Review of WELL DONE –– A WWII Memoir

Post by Sanju Lali »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "WELL DONE –– A WWII Memoir" by Nancy Hungerford.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I am glad to bring to your kind attention how lucky a real-life person can be to escape from several fatal accidents in his life. These accidents are some of the near-miss accidents that occurred in a notoriously dangerous situation in the aftermath of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor during the Second World War. You may guess it is divine protection or a phenomenon due to the virtue of magic. Truth be told, this is a real-life happening and not a fantasy. The lucky person is none other than Lieutenant Bob, who fought for the US during Second World War against Japan. I am familiar with the aftermath of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor during the Second World War after reading several books, but knowing it from a soldier who had the first-hand experience of the war gave a clear picture of the scenario, like being there at the moment. How many times was Bob able to cling to life, and how close was he to the situation of getting perished? What were Bob’s inherent special qualities that were helping for his survival? You may be surprised to know how all that happened by reading the book WELL DONE –– A WWII Memoir by Nancy Hungerford.

I found this book to be medium-sized with 2915 locations as read on Amazon Kindle. The book is divided into 75 chapters. The book is based on the Journal entries and the diaries written by Bob when he was a fighter plane pilot on USS Franklin in 1944. Bob was born in a decent family and had aspirations to fly since his childhood. His aspiration pushed and guided him to become a fighter plane pilot. What are Bob’s lifetime achievements? Did Bob’s Job affect his family life in any way?

A bunch of Bob's thrilling real-life experiences on the fighter aircraft is the thing that I liked the most in this book because, while reading, I felt like I was with him at that moment. This book shows the level of precision expected from a pilot each time, whenever the pilot takes off an aircraft from an aircraft carrier or lands an aircraft on an aircraft carrier. I also learned how ferocious and deadly the Japanese warriors were during the war. I was surprised to learn that the Japanese were not defeated in any war since 1591. The photographic pictures at several locations gave me an idea of the ground situation during that time. There was really nothing in the book for me to dislike, content-wise.

I recommend this book to teenagers and adults who are interested in knowing the scenario of the Second World War near Japan. Readers interested in knowing how fighter aircraft were working during the forties will find this book valuable. I do not recommend this book to faint-hearted readers who may find it uncomfortable while reading about any person suddenly getting killed accidentally or by an enemy attack. The book depicts a lot of emotional turmoil, which Bob had undergone during the war. Therefore, people who get disturbed by reading about such things may stay away from this book. Moreover, the readers who get bored by reading any technical matter may skip the technical part of this book.

The title of the book fascinated me as I was expecting an inspirational story in this book. After reading this book from cover to cover, I was happy as the book met my expectations because Bob’s story inspired me. Content-wise, I wanted to give this book all four stars because I was glued to the book until I finished reading it. However, the count of grammatical errors forced me to think that this book is not professionally edited. Since the grammatical errors were more than ten, my hands became heavy, and I had to hold back one star. Putting together all the aspects of this book, I am happy to recommend this book to other readers by rating this book with 3 out of 4 stars.

WELL DONE –– A WWII Memoir
View: on Bookshelves
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Omark
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Omark »

This is a great review.the author promote the skills and knowledge of aircraft fighter.i like this review because it is memoirs and adventure.thank you for the good reviews.
Maliha Naveed
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Tales from the Grey Area
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maliha-naveed.html
Latest Review: Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid by Dr. Rachel Sims

Post by Maliha Naveed »

A war story narrated from a different perspective is always a treat to read. Thank you for such a detailed review.
Mayur Arjune
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayur-arjune.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Mayur Arjune »

Memoir are always good to read. They give us insights that hardly match any speech. The review has great depth. Thank you for sharing thoughts on WW2.
Musharaf Khan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Musharaf Khan »

This good book author give some basic tips to how to increase your abilities
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

This seems like a very educational book since there are always things to learn regarding WW2. Great review!
Bernadette Avelar
Currently Reading: Harvey the Hippo
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bernadette-avelar.html
Latest Review: The Commander by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Bernadette Avelar »

War, to simply state, is ugly. It is a horrific act that changes everyone involved; forever. War should never be glorified. I remember visiting Pearl Harbor before I joined the military, before 9/11 and I recall how silent and still the memorial was. I was not impacted, I was an ignorant child. I remember I visited the same site on my way back from Okinawa after the 9/11 attacks, this time while on active duty. I was completely shaken because I was impacted personally and I understood what it meant and how it felt. I cannot imagine what Bob went through but his personal accounts are graphic because they are very real and are not for the faint hearted. They are his truth and they are not edited because his words speak from the “battle space.”
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

I’ve always wanted to look forward to the history of the world. I’ll definitely enjoy reading this one. Thanks for this great review!
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

Thanks for the review. This sounds like an insightful read!
Sanju Lali
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Sanju Lali »

Omark wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 01:37 This is a great review.the author promote the skills and knowledge of aircraft fighter.i like this review because it is memoirs and adventure.thank you for the good reviews.
Thanks for your valuable feedback.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

A book full of insights into World War II written by a person who witnessed those tragic events is certainly interesting. I hope the author does another round of proofreading to make it perfect. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Jacques Mwashuma
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacques-mwashuma.html
Latest Review: Doyle's Law by Sam Roberts

Post by Jacques Mwashuma »

This is a very detailed and stirring review, almost makes me wish I was the writer of the memoir 😊. Great work this is.
If the heart is clear, it doesn't matter if there's a storm brewing in the sky.

- Bing Xin.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

I believe some readers will find this book fascinating. But, I don't enjoy historical fiction or any that talks about WW. Thanks for a well-detailed review.
NISSE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisse.html
Latest Review: Insights for Coaching Leaders beyond 2021 by Jill Flynn

Post by NISSE »

World war stories are always fascinating to read, Specially during World war II. This story seems to be no exception. Great review as well!
Josephe-Anne
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I'm always interested to read about people who survived such a terrible time in world history. I'm sure that Bob had many stories to tell about his experiences as a pilot. When so many others perished during the war, he managed to survive some life-threatening situations.

Thank you for your detailed review!
😀
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”