Review of Life Goes On

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Review of Life Goes On

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Life Goes On" by John E Budzinski.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Life Goes On by John E. Budzinski is a cumulation of the author's random but meaningful thoughts on life, specifically on what would be in his permanent record and what legacy truly means. The threat of "This is going into your PERMANENT RECORD!" makes it safe to assume that it is, perhaps, only misdeeds that will be in it. We all have embarrassing moments we will love to erase from the annals of history. But then, we can also look back at them as teaching moments, part of being human, or legacies to pass on. John affirms that "... legacy isn't what has been and what we leave behind. It's what goes forward." In examining his life, John gives us a clue on creating a lasting legacy, something meaningful in our otherwise weird and mysterious earthly existence. Yes, life flows with the ebbs of time, but our tiny droplets create oceans of everlasting memories the author calls 'the more to the story.'

This book perhaps does have an undertone of an autobiography. John, however, doesn't give a chronological narrative of his life. Instead, he gives humorous anecdotes of life growing up, traveling, and wondering what eternity holds. John takes the reader on a journey into the enviable world of hoboes, his obnoxious boss, Dan, his writing career, including a personal experiment on the dating scene, failed spelling bees, unusual show-and-tells, and finding answers in unusual places. Of course, the embarrassing moments abound, and the conversation between him and a character called Peter, as they go through his permanent record, is amusing and insightful. There are references to popular idioms, sayings, TV shows, and cartoons to illustrate points.

The book is a fusion of facts and opinions, presented light-heartedly while still successfully conveying the message. True to his belief, John lets his creative spirit run wild in an understandable way, creating this masterpiece. Note: There is even a side note on where to get the best pizza!!!

One of the best things about this book is the narrative style. The conversational tone makes the reader a 'co-conspirator.' An example of this is when John asks, "Don't you have your ridiculous and irrational fears? You know you do, and like me, there are things you forgot to tell." There are also quirky and amusing make-believe scenarios, like in the imaginary show-and-tell date with Nancy, he says, "This is my right hand. I use it to slap my face to see if this is a dream, or this moment is actually happening." He also changes grammar rules to emphasize some points, as seen on page 138: "And, for the, life of me, I cannot ever, I mean, not ever, figure out, the, logic, behind comma, uses." There are also new words/slangs to learn along the way, e.g., heckuva, heinie, Mitttyesque, etc. The play on words is also intriguing. For instance, in talking about permanent records: "It contained more personal information than even Santa Claus's list, and it seemed to me it got checked a lot more than twice."

The only downside I saw in this book was its errors. Apart from them, the book is well written and well paced. There is constant reference to the author's first book, Nothing Special—Just A Life, where some of his life stories have also been penned down. Based on what I have read in this book, I'm sure it will also be a delightful read (if you haven't read it yet).

I recommend this book to readers seeking to learn from life and explore life through the eyes of a curious child. Finally, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It deserves full points but for the errors. Yes, life is weird and mysterious, but we can understand more when listening to or reading other people's stories.

Life Goes On
View: on Bookshelves
Pearl Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-thomas.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Pearl Thomas »

I loved your analysis of the book. I think this book addresses an important aspect of most people's mental lives, i.e, the fear of maintaining a clean life record. Also, the author's comment on commas; couldn't agree more! :lol:
Precious DA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-da.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by Precious DA »

The authors style of writing is one which I am interested by. I like being able to relate with a book. It seems like a nice read. Thanks for the review!
Hammed Falese
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Hammed Falese »

I like this book as it was written 😁 and I like the author writing skills very nice to read but I will still compare it when am done with the rest
Lynda Howard
Currently Reading: Gringo
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lynda-howard.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Lynda Howard »

I love to read well-written books about how others perceive life as it gives me a bigger perspective on the world around me. I look forward to reading this meaningful real-life story written with insight and humorous anecdotes. Thanks for the review!
Theexceptional
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theexceptional.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by Theexceptional »

Sounds like an interesting book. I think this would help with life's circumstances. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
The fabulous
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-fabulous.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by The fabulous »

We all make mistakes, ability to learn from it is what makes me us stringer. Thanks for the review.
GNerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnerd.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by GNerd »

The author should please fix the errors to make it earn a four star. Job well delivered. Well done.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”